Former Canaries striker signs up for yet another season - ahead of 45th birthday
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Jamie Cureton intends to continue his reputation as the Duracell Bunny of English football, after signing for a new club ahead of his 45th birthday.
The former Norwich City striker has signed for Essex Senior League Premier Division side Enfield FC, who play at step five of the non-league pyramid, the equivalent level to that of clubs such as Wroxham and Norwich United.
Cureton, who turns 45 in August, made national headlines in 2019 when he passed the rare milestone of playing 1,000 competitive matches in his career and also became the first player to have scored in the top nine tiers of English football when he scored for Enfield.
However, his main job was as player-manager at Bishop’s Stortford in the Isthmian League Premier Division, where a two-year spell came to an end in February of this year due to a lack of assurances over his future.
The former Bristol Rovers and Reading striker subsequently joined promotion chasing Hornchurch as a player in the same division, only for the campaign to be declared null and void when the coronavirus pandemic prompted the game’s suspension in March.
It remains unclear when non-league teams will be able to begin their 2020-21 seasons but Cureton, who scored 24 goals in 108 games across two spells for Norwich, is planning to be in action for Enfield when that is possible.
He posted on Twitter to say: “Delighted to sort out my future for the season ahead. Joining a club on the up, so impressed with the plans on and off the field.
You may also want to watch:
“Cannot wait to get going. Hoping to add value playing and coaching.”
Cureton has scored over 370 goals during his lengthy career, over 280 of which were scored for clubs playing in the top four divisions - the first coming back in December 1994 when he came on as a late substitute and scored for Norwich in a 3-0 home win over Chelsea in the top flight.
- 1 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 4 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 5 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 6 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 7 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 8 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 9 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 10 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion