Oliveira one of three to see red in bizarre Greek Cup semi-final ending
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Former Norwich City striker Nelson Oliveira was one of three AEK Athens players sent off in as many minutes during their Greek Cup semi-final aggregate victory over Aris on Wednesday.
The Portuguese forward was dismissed following a bizarre three minutes which saw the Greek giants reduced to eight men in quick succession as the tie reached stoppage time of extra time.
AEK progressed to the final of the competition, coming back from 2-0 down on the night to draw 2-2 and win 4-3 on aggregate.
Oliveira assisted the equaliser and had a gilt-edged chance to secure victory on the night deep into extra-time, only to volley the ball against the underside of the bar when the goal was gaping.
All three red cards were seperate incidents, with Oliveira the last of the players to get sent off.
You may also want to watch:
Petros Mantalos was the first to see red for a nasty tackle before Dutch referee Danny Makkelie sent off Andre Simoes just one minute later after he clashed with an opposing player.
Oliveira’s red card came soon after, with the Portuguese international attempting to block a quick free-kick - only to see himself suffer the same fate as his colleagues.
- 1 Ex-City star Murphy boosts hopes of new deal
- 2 Former City loanee set for new deal at Borussia Dortmund
- 3 Candid Cantwell opens up on struggles during 'whirlwind' summer
- 4 Lee Payne: Bruce has got it wrong over Norwich City and Premier League
- 5 City defender likened to a 'young Rio Ferdinand'
- 6 Dowell pledge from City boss
- 7 City Q&A: One down. One to go
- 8 Chris Goreham: No-one should question just how good City have been
- 9 'I don't want the season to end' - City ace hitting top form
- 10 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
The former City striker will now be suspended for the final. AEK Athens will face Olympiacos next month.