Former City striker’s revival continues with goal against Bayern Munich
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Dennis Srbeny’s bright return to German football stepped up a level last night, as the former Norwich City striker scored against Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich.
The striker returned to former club Paderborn in January and scored his third goal in six games in the German top flight, embarrassing World Cup winning goalkeeper Manuel Neuer.
Srbeny timed a run well to stay onside and then cut the ball inside the on-rushing Neuer before keeping his cool as Bayern defenders scrambled back, to calmly slot into an empty net and equalise just before half-time.
Poland star Robert Lewandowski eventually spared the leaders' blushes with an 88th minute goal to snatch a 3-2 win, to push five points clear at the summit.
Paderborn however remain bottom, one point from the relegation play-off place but six points from safety with 11 games remaining.
Srbeny also scored during defeats to Bayer Leverkusen and Hertha Berlin since returning to the club who sold him to Norwich in a deal reportedly worth around £1.3million in January 2018.
The 25-year-old managed five goals in 43 games for the Canaries, although just 13 of those games were starts - and just seven of those were in league games.
You may also want to watch:
His final goal came during the closing stages of a 2-0 win at Everton in the Premier League in December but the Canaries allowed Srbeny to leave due to the progress of Republic of Ireland U21 striker Adam Idah and the return to fitness of Switzerland international Josip Drmic.
The Canaries are believed to have recovered the majority of the fee they spent on Srbeny, who had been prolific for Paderborn in the third tier before leaving for England.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 4 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 7 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 10 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- You can see Srbeny's goal in the video above