Former Norwich City and Lowestoft Town goalkeeper Ben Killip joins League Two side Grimsby Town on initial one-year deal
- Credit: Richard Calver
Grimsby Town have signed goalkeeper Ben Killip on a free transfer following the expiry of the youngster’s contract with Norwich City.
The 21-year-old joined Norwich from Chelsea in 2013 but didn’t get a senior chance and spent the 2015-16 season on loan at Lowestoft Town, making 25 appearances as the Trawlerboys were relegated from National League North.
He had been training with Luton Town at the end of last season but has been on trial with Grimsby during pre-season and has signed an initial one-year deal ahead of the start of the League Two season.
“Delighted to get it over the line,” Killip told the Mariners’ website. “Looking forward to the season ahead – hopefully we can push forward as a club and get ourselves up that table.
“I want to make a name for myself in the game, and start trying to go places so I’ve enjoyed it. Everyone’s made me feel very welcome, which is always a good thing because it makes the transition a lot easier when you’re signing.”
You may also want to watch:
Killip is the second former Canaries academy player to join Grimsby this summer, following winger Sam Kelly being signed on a free from Port Vale, with Town’s assistant manager being former Norwich Under-21s coach Paul Wilkinson.
Killip added: “I knew Wilko before, so my contract expired at Norwich and I was looking for a new club, and I dropped Wilko a text asking if he was looking for a goalkeeper, and luckily he told me to come in on trial.
- 2 MATCHDAY RECAP: Huge goals for Hugill as City create daylight at the top
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-0 Bristol City win
- 4 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 5 Hot Hugill caps a season's best display for City boss
- 6 Hugill brace ensures superb City beat Bristol
- 7 'Great header' - Hugill's goal earns seal of approval from Holt
- 8 Farke maps out his risk averse strategy on Pukki and Krul
- 9 STARTING XIs: Krul returns for Canaries against Bristol City
- 10 LOAN WATCH: Success for Heise and recognition for Adshead
“I’ve been here for three weeks now so it’s just all gone from there really.”