Former Norwich City youngster Tom Adeyemi signs for Ipswich Town
- Credit: Archant
Former Norwich City midfielder Tom Adeyemi has signed for Ipswich Town.
The 25-year-old, out of contract at Cardiff City, reportedly had a host of Championship clubs interested in his signature, although rumours that the Canaries were interested in bringing him back to Carrow Road were wide of the mark.
Adeyemi has signed a two-year deal, with a one-year option, with Mick McCarthy’s Blues – a move that will be seen as a huge boost for the club.
Adeyemi starred for Rotherham last season as the Millers were relegated from the Championship, scoring seven league and cup goals in 30 games, including the winner against the Blues at Portman Road.
He’s also played for Bradford, Oldham, Brentford, Birmingham and Leeds so far in his career.
You may also want to watch:
“I have known about the interest from Ipswich for a while but it picked up over the last few days and having spoken to the manager, it was an easy decision to come here,” said Adeyemi, who made 11 appearances for Norwich after coming through the Academy set-up but joined Birmingham four years ago. “I didn’t need to speak to anyone else. I know what a great club Ipswich is. I know about the history. The manager told me about his plans and how I fitted in and I have always admired him from afar as well.
“They were all key reasons why I wanted to come here but Ipswich showed the most interest in me as well and that was important. I wanted to join a club that I felt really wanted me and I felt that about it here. I know the club have signed a few players lately so there is a bit of a re-building going on and I’m delighted to be part of that.”
- 1 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 2 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Derby County win
- 4 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
- 5 Paddy Davitt verdict: Wazza and City's great leap forward
- 6 'We showed Norwich too much respect' - Rooney on Rams' reverse
- 7 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 8 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 9 ‘Ninety points is usually enough’ - Dowell buzzing for City’s big day
- 10 Spud Thornhill: Early days, but can City break that promotion record?
Adeyemi is the fourth signing of the summer so far for Town, as they attempt to bounce back from their worst season in 58 years.
The Blues have already brought in £1m striker Joe Garner, defender Jordan Spence and top target, midfielder Emyr Huws. Young Manchester City winger Bersant Celina is also expected to sign on loan for the season. The flurry of business so early in the summer is uncharacteristic of McCarthy’s time with the Blues, and an indication owner Marcus Evans may be ready to loosen the purse strings in pursuit of a promotion challenge.