Formula win’ bid by City
David Cuffley The Canaries are hoping to be in pole position for a flying start to the new campaign - with the help of a special training camp at Nigel Mansell's Devon country club.
The Canaries are hoping to be in pole position for a flying start to the new campaign - with the help of a special training camp at Nigel Mansell's Devon country club.
City's first team squad set off yesterday for Woodbury Park Hotel, owned by the former Formula One world champion.
Said manager Glenn Roeder: “We are going to Nigel Mansell's place down in Exeter for extensive pre-season training. It will be a week of fitness work and strengthening work.”
You may also want to watch:
The complex is a popular destination for sports teams - “Portsmouth will be there the week after us,” said Roeder - and City are looking to make the most of their West Country trip before their first pre-season game at Gorleston on July 16, followed by two matches in Sweden.
“The board have been very supportive in providing us with this opportunity as well as the trip to Sweden, where we will play two games,” said Roeder.
- 1 City transfer rumours: West Ham show interest in £30m rated Aarons
- 2 No West Ham contact for Aarons; Drmic wage hike unlikely
- 3 Webber will continue to be 'brutally honest' at City
- 4 Former City boss to leave post at the end of the season
- 5 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 6 City hot-shot out to prove point in Premier League, claims ex-Canary
- 7 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 8 David Freezer: Emotions bubbling for City as Watford tee up a proper title race
- 9 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 10 QPR forced to deny manager is leaving ahead of City clash
He said it was important to get the players away together to concentrate on preparing for the new campaign with no distractions.
“The players will be away from their families but they have had seven weeks' holiday to do the things they wanted to do and now they are ours,” he said.
City will be fully prepared if they have to make room for new faces at their training camp.
“If we sign anyone else, they will be on their way to join us in a fast car or on a quick train,” said Roeder.