Fotheringham hopes to gain in Spain
Former Norwich City skipper Mark Fotheringham has spoken of his hope of a new career in Spain's La Liga. The 25-year-old midfielder is having a trial at Primera Division side Espanyol after his contract with the Canaries was terminated early by mutual consent.
Former Norwich City skipper Mark Fotheringham has spoken of his hope of a new career in Spain's La Liga.
The 25-year-old midfielder is having a trial at Primera Division side Espanyol after his contract with the Canaries was terminated early by mutual consent.
Fotheringham, who has had previous spells playing in Germany and Switzerland, said: “Espanyol want to have a look at me. It's a chance for me to show them what I can do.
“They have been aware of me since November and I know their coach has watched DVDs of my games.
You may also want to watch:
“He liked what he saw and invited me out. I'm really looking forward to it and I honestly believe my pass and move game is suited to Spanish football.”
Fotheringham, who played for SC Freiburg and FC Aarau in past stints in Europe, told the Scottish Sun: “It's going to be a difficult decision. I played for Freiburg in Germany and enjoyed the experience but I'm open to staying in Britain.
- 1 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 2 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Watford defeat
- 3 QPR forced to deny manager is leaving ahead of City clash
- 4 David Freezer: Emotions bubbling for City as Watford tee up a proper title race
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 6 Farke laments 'average' City display in Watford defeat
- 7 Webber will continue to be 'brutally honest' at City
- 8 Hanley insists winning title 'means everything' to Canaries
- 9 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 10 Watford wanted to stop promoted City enjoying 'showcase game'
“No matter what happens over the next week, I am not going to commit to anything. I'm a free agent and it's a great position to be in approaching the new season.
But he also revealed that he had been invited to train with Derby County.
“Derby gaffer Nigel Clough has also invited me to start pre-season training with them and I like the idea of that,” he said.
Fotheringham, who began his career with Celtic, joined the Canaries in 2007 and made 76 appearances, scoring four times.
His last appearance for City came in the 2-1 home defeat by Coventry in February, when he stormed down the tunnel after being substituted.