Four out of six for Greens

RIDGEONS LEAGUE: Gorleston got their 125th anniversary campaign off to a winning start last Saturday against a useful looking Brantham side.

Please find notes for this weeks Pink Un plus a couple of pictures from Gorleston v Brantham should you wish to use them.


Gorleston got their 125th anniversary campaign off to a winning start last Saturday against a useful looking Brantham side.

Brantham took the lead after 26 minutes when they were awarded a free kick near the halfway line for handball against Eddie Thompson. The free kick was was not cleared and fell nicely to David Gibson who powered it into the net.

You may also want to watch:

Gorleston responded well and had a big shout for a penalty waved away. Then Nathan Thompson burst through on the left but keeper Nathan Munson was out quick to save.

The Greens equalised in the 33rd minute with a superb Ricci Butler trademark shot from 30 yards that flew into the top right corner.

Most Read

Pillar had a shot tipped wide before the best bit of football of the first half saw Gorleston take the lead. Butler fed Ben Manning bursting down the left, he hit a quality cross into the box to Taylor who buried it from six yards.

Gorleston extended their lead just one minute into the second half. A smart turn by John Bell on the edge of his own box enabled him to get the ball to Pillar who, despite close attentions from a defender, put the ball through to Butler on the left, who slotted it coolly into the net.

This win was followed on Tuesday night by a draw at Diss.

Gorleston fans would probably have settled for a point before this game but in the end were disappointed not to pick up all three.

Diss took the lead after 33 minutes. A free kick from the left of the box was met at the back post almost inevitably by a former Green, Leighton Miller, who powered his header into the net.

Gorleston equalised five minutes into the second half when they broke from a Diss free kick. Ricci Butler slid the ball through to Chad Pillar who slotted it under the keeper and into the net.

The Greens looked to have claims for a penalty when Pillar was again bearing down on goal, he nodded a bouncing ball round keeper Mark Camidge. Camidge then struck Pillar around his nose with his fist but the referee was not interested. Gorleston had the ball in the net again nine minutes from time when Pillar stooped to head home a Luke Goreham cross from close range only for the linesman to rule him offside.

Today saw the start of this seasons FA Cup campaign when Fakenham visit Emerald Park.

Next Saturday is a return to league action when Downham Town are the visitors.

Gorleston Reserves begin their first season in the Ridgeons Reserve League next Saturday with a trip to play Felixstowe Reserves.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus