Fulham’s Dimitar Berbatov faces fitness test ahead of Norwich City clash as Martin Jol laments losing 12 on international duty
- Credit: Andrew Tobin/Focus Images Ltd
Bulgarian striker Dimitar Berbatov will undergo a fitness test to determine if he can play for Fulham against Norwich City tomorrow.
Berbatov missed the 1-0 home defeat by former club Manchester United last week with a hamstring problem.
“I think and hope that he will be in the squad,” said manager Martin Jol, for whom Mahamadou Diarra (knee) and Kerim Frei (pelvis) are confirmed absentees.
“If not, Urby (Emanuelson) will probably start. In an ideal world, I don’t think he will start.”
Emanuelson was one of three deadline day arrivals after signing on loan from AC Milan.
Stanislav Manolev and Eyong Enoh are unavailable as they wait for their work permits, but Steve Sidwell (knee) and Kieran Richardson (calf) are available again, bringing much-needed Premier League experience.
“That is the most important thing for a club like ourselves, to have Premier League experience because if you don’t you could end up with a problem,” Jol added.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Placheta poised for Championship loan move
- 2 'Seriously special' - City fans rave over new home kit
- 3 Norwich City unveil their new home kit
- 4 So it begins again - City hoping for winning start in opening friendly at Dereham Town
- 5 City gem Aarons advised not to follow the money
- 6 New Norwich City deal will allow pre-match Carrow Road light shows
- 7 Anglian Home Improvements to become Barclay Stand sponsors
- 8 City's first home game selected for TV coverage
- 9 Teemu Pukki's future: The inside track from Finland
- 10 Neil hones in on City Championship reunion
Key defender Brede Hangeland shrugged off an Achilles ache, which forced him off at half-time against United and required a scan, to travel with Norway in midweek, but Bryan Ruiz is still to return to London from international duty with Costa Rica.
“We had 12 players away on international duty and that is awful. Norwich had two or three so we have to consider that problem,” Jol added.