Strikers on target as City U23s go top of PL2 Division Two after win at Craven Cottage
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Under-23s have gone top of Division Two in Premier League Two after managing something the club’s first team hasn’t in almost 35 years - a win at Craven Cottage.
The U23s beat their Fulham counterparts 2-0 on Friday night, without being bolstered by any senior players on this occasion, with the goals coming from strikers Tyrese Omotoye and Tom Dickson-Peters.
Good work from Scottish midfielder Reece McAlear to steal possession allowed Omotoye to slot past the keeper in the 24th minute.
Right-back Ethen Vaughan cleared a Fulham chance off the line before the break and Jon McCracken was relieved to see a rebound from a save put wide in the 64th minute, before a Zach Dronfield shot was tipped on to the bar by the Fulham keeper and defender Andrew Omobamidele rattled the bar with a head from a McAlear corner.
Dickson-Peters settled matters in the 77th minute though, barely five minutes after coming on, turning in a Josh Giurgi cross from the right. It was the Scotland Under-18 international’s first goal at U23 level, having recently signed a three-year professional deal.
McCracken made a good late save to preserve his clean sheet on a wet night in London and the young Canaries moved top of the early table thanks to three wins from four games, two points clear of Wolves, who have a game in hand.
You may also want to watch:
McCracken, McAlear, Omobamidele and midfielder William Hondermarck were all on the bench for the first time during the League Cup loss at Luton at the start of the season.
Next up for the City U23s is the first team of League Two side Newport County (7pm kick-off), as they continue their EFL Trophy group stage fixtures, having impressively beaten League One side Plymouth Argyle 3-2 in their Southern Group F opener.
There’s then a short break with the next PL2 game being at home to Stoke on Friday, October 16 (7pm kick-off) at the Lotus Training Centre.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 3 Farke's words of advice for Soto
- 4 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v Norwich City - McLean tests positive for Covid-19
- 5 Rupp set for FA Cup recall
- 6 MATCHDAY LIVE: Canaries take on Barnsley in FA Cup
- 7 Robin Sainty: Farke has taken City to a whole new level
- 8 February fixture changes for Canaries
- 9 Ton up Tim is wonderful for Farke
- 10 Barnsley v Norwich City in the FA Cup - all you need to know
Norwich City: McCracken (C); Vaughan, Omobamidele, Tomkinson, Nizet; Dronfield, McAlear; Giurgi, Dennis (Dickson-Peters 72), Hondermarck; Omotoye (Springett 79)