Norwich City transfer rumours: Schalke eye deal for City goalkeeper Tim Krul
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City goalkeeper Tim Krul is of interest to Bundesliga giants Schalke, with the German club reportedly interested in signing the Dutch international this summer.
The 31-year-old has impressed for the Canaries this season, most recently starring in a heroic FA Cup penalty shoot-out victory over Tottenham Hotspur as City reached the quarter-finals of the competition for the first time in 28 years.
Krul saved two penalties as City won the spot-kick contest 3-2, denying Troy Parrott and Gedson Fernandes to ensure City's progression.
According to Alan Nixon, the Sun's transfer expert, the Dutch keeper is being targeted as a replacement for the outgoing Alexander Nubel, who has joined Bayern Munich on a pre-contract arrangement.
The report suggests the Canaries would be open to striking a deal for their goalkeeper if they were to suffer relegation this season, with defeat to Sheffield United on Saturday leaving them six points from safety.
City currently have Schalke goalkeeper Ralf Fahrmann on their books, although he is expected to cut his loan deal short imminently to join Norwegian outfit SK Brann. Fahrmann was expected to overtake Krul as City's number one, but the ex-Newcastle United goalkeeper has excelled in the Premier League this season.
You may also want to watch:
The Dutch international hasn't been named in an international squad since 2015, but his recent form may be enough to persuade Holland boss Ronald Koeman he is worthy of a recall.
Schalke are currently managed by ex-Huddersfield Town head coach David Wagner, a man recruited by City sporting director Stuart Webber during his time with the Terriers.
- 1 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 2 City midfielder returns to Norfolk after loan spell terminated
- 3 Bushiri completes Eupen loan
- 4 Placheta must kick on at City
- 5 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 6 Giannoulis deal proof City can navigate difficult transfer market
- 7 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 8 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 9 Giannoulis in contention for Boro clash - as City secure work permit
- 10 'That's my dream' - Giannoulis hopes his style will boost City's promotion hopes
Wagner is said to be keen on bringing Krul to the Veltins Arena in the summer.
Schalke currently find themselves sitting 6th in the Bundesliga as they continue an impressive season after finishing 14th in the last campaign.
They are gunning for European qualification, but sit only a point ahead of 7th placed Wolfsburg on 37 points.
Beyond Fahrmann, Wagner only possesses youngster Markus Schubert and veteran shot-stopper Michael Langer as goalkeeping options, but is in the market for a first-choice to strengthen his side.
Whether City would be willing to depart with one of their prized asset remains to be seen, however. Krul has developed an affinity with supporters after his sterling performances for the Canaries.