“Go and tear it up for Newcastle” – Norwich City fans and players react to Jacob Murphy’s £12.5m exit
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Newcastle and Norwich City fans have been discussing the £12.5million move of Jacob Murphy to Tyneside, after the winger’s Magpies switch was finally confirmed.
The fee for the 22-year-old is believed to be £10m, with a further £2.5m in potential add-ons, who had already joined up with his new team-mates at their pre-season training base in Ireland.
Newcastle have not confirmed the contract length agreed with Murphy, who was one of the few players to emerge with any credit from last season and also starred at the European Under-21 Championships with England.
Canaries sporting director Stuart Webber made it clear that savings would have to be made this summer and a decision has been made to part with one of the Canaries’ prized assets.
Fans shouldn’t expect City to make a big splash in the transfer market themselves as a result. City have already made seven signings this summer and the money from the sale of Murphy will clear the club’s overdraft, which built up after their relegation from the Premier League.
You may also want to watch:
It is understood there will be money to do more business before the window shuts but City will continue looking for bargains whilst also possibly another Premier League loan.
• Take a look at some of the reaction above
- 1 Hot property Maddison adds up for City
- 2 Canaries not pursuing young Exeter winger linked to Celtic
- 3 WINDOW WATCH: The latest Canaries transfer news and views
- 4 Should Canaries fans be concerned about slow transfer market?
- 5 Ex-Canaries striker seals Championship move
- 6 City title winner Xavi attracting interest
- 7 'Excellent professional' - Former City winger joins League One side
- 8 'I know he gets a little bit of stick' - Scots' chief defends Hanley
- 9 City confirm date for Liverpool Premier League opener
- 10 'Dreams do come true' - City star buzzing for Liverpool opener