Goalless draw for Bungay Town at Aylsham; Beccles Caxton’s woes continue at Acle
Bungay’s defensive strength brought them a point against fellow Anglian Combination Division Two promotion contenders Aylsham on Saturday, as the two sides fought out a goalless draw – while Beccles Caxton’s poor form continued with a 1-0 defeat at Acle Reserves.
The home side had the better clear-cut chances to beat the deadlock, while the final ball let Bungay down too often when they attacked and they were mainly restricted to half-chances.
But James Shaw was in fine form again in goal and in front of him the back four of Sam Olley, Steve Batt, Dan Lowe and Stuart Campbell proved impenetrable again.
The team has kept four clean sheets in the last five games and conceded only twice in the last six games. Only two sides in the six divisions of the Anglian Combination have conceded fewer, and if they could start putting the ball in the net at the other end their promotion chances would be greatly enhanced.
With the wind behind them Bungay had the best of the opening minutes without being able to get in a direct shot and when Aylsham attacked they tested Shaw immediately. In the 13th minute they struck the underside of the bar from inside the six-yard box, but the flag was up for offside. For Bungay Matt Lowe had a free-kick deflected for a corner.
You may also want to watch:
Danny Wilby had a fine game for the Black Dogs and was involved in most of their attacking play. He was unlucky to see a long range effort dip onto the roof of the net and he then set up Dan Burgess, whose effort was off target. John Riches was too high with a lob over the advancing keeper.
Right on half-time Shaw made a tremedous save from a fierce angled shot, while Bungay won a free-kick on the edge of the area early in the second half but Sam Raven’s effort was well off target
- 1 City keeper issues injury update
- 2 'He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed at City
- 3 City Q&A recap: What does Giannoulis signing mean for Quintilla?
- 4 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
- 5 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 6 Six things you might have missed after Norwich City's victory in Cardiff
- 7 PROFILE: Raw determination and loan education helped City's incoming left-back emerge at PAOK
- 8 Young City winger completes permanent Harrogate Town move
- 9 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper
- 10 Canaries captain hails 'outstanding' display from Hugill
Substitute James Youngman had a shot blocked after another Wilby inspired moved, and Wilby then put in a good run to the by-line only for his low cross to be turned away.
Shaw made a fine diving save to keep out an Aylsham free-kick and Dan Lowe made a last ditch interception as a forward broke clear in the closing stages.
• Bungay: Shaw, Olley, Batt, D Lowe, Campbell, Riches (Andrews), Raven, Wilby, M Lowe, Ballard (Youngman), Burgess (York).
• On Saturday Bungay entertain Acle Reserves (2.30pm).
• Beccles Caxton could not end their poor run of form last weekend – but they did stop the stream of goals they have been conceding.
The Anglian Combination Division Two strugglers went down 1-0 at promotion-chasing Acle Reserves.
Caxton remain without a league win in nine matches – and host Acle’s fellow title challengers Attleborough Town tomorrow.