Goals galore as Thorpe and Aylsham battle
Thorpe United Ladies 4, Aylsham Town 3
With the cup game being cancelled due to the away team not having enough players, Thorpe were eager to play as this would have been the second game cancelled since Christmas. A friendly game was arranged against Aylsham Town.
Thorpe were the dominating side from the start and with a great cross from Rebecca Russell, Meg Evans gained the lead for Thorpe 1.0.
Aylsham were putting up a fight against the home side but Thorpe were still creating chances with Meg hitting the bar and Rebecca Lake hitting a post just moments after.
The second goal came with a long ball from Mary-Ann to Bex who slotted the ball past the keeper, 2-0.
You may also want to watch:
With a defensive error from the away side, own goal, it was soon 3-0 and that was the half-time score.
Despite being 3.0 down Alysham hadn’t given up hope and got a goal back.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 5 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 6 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 7 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 10 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
Thorpe appeared to drop their heads and within moments of their last Aylsham got a second to make it 3-2.
Thorpe were feeling the pressure now but after some encouragement from the sideline and some good football Lisa-Marie got her first for the team.
Aylsham didn’t give up until the end and managed to bag another goal making the final score 4-3.
Well played to both teams and good luck to Aylsham for the rest of the season.
Gorleston U11 5, Thorpe United Girls U11 2
This was a very exciting game as Thorpe battled to match one of the top teams in the league.
Thorpe started slowly and soon went 1-0 down, however with the wind behind them they started to take the game to their hosts, trying to force an equaliser, but some good football from defence to attack saw Gorleston break and make it 2-0.
Soon after, a great shot from Imogen gave Thorpe the goal they deserved and they were back in it at 2-1, then as Thorpe pressed foward Grace almost got an equaliser but the home defence stood strong until half-time.
The second half was going to be hard work for the defenders facing the strong wind and soon Gorleston took advantage with two quick goals to make it 4-1.
But with great determination and a refusal to give in, Thorpe got right back in the game when Imogen cooly finished a good move by Thorpe. However, it was Gorleston who scored the last goal of the game to make the final score 5-2.
An enjoyable game and once again the girls drew praise from the opposition’s manager and the referee.
Player of the match for Thorpe was Lily Smith-Lake, who in the absence of Vivian took charge of the midfield, and played superbly in the centre of defence in the second half.