Norwich City transfer rumours: Godfrey a target for French side Rennes
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City defender Ben Godfrey has been linked with numerous clubs during the current transfer window - with French top-flight side Stades Rennais the latest to be credited with an interest in the 22-year-old.
Godfrey has been touted with a number of top European clubs over the recent months, including Milan, Borussia Dortmund and RB Leipzig.
Florian Maurice, Rennes sporting director, was previously head of scouting at Lyon and was at the club when they were linked with Godfrey in April 2019.
Foot Mercato, an established French outfit, are reporting that Rennes are keen to recruit Godfrey but remain committed on landing their top-target Jean-Clair Todibo.
The report states that Godfrey is a long-term target for Maurice, who scouted City’s defender whilst at Lyon and was impressed by his performances.
You may also want to watch:
The central defender has started both of City’s opening two Championship fixtures this season - impressing with his performance in their opening day victory over Huddersfield Town.
Godfrey has also been included in Aidy Boothroyd’s England Under-21 side and is regarded as one of the best up and coming defensive prospects in the country.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 2 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 3 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
- 4 Rusty returns could prove crucial in the long run for fit-again City stars
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 6 'I was knocked for six' - Krul reveals difficulties of his Covid-19 recovery
- 7 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 8 Six things you might have missed following Norwich City's FA Cup exit at Barnsley
- 9 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 10 Farke's words of advice for Soto
Rennes find themselves with some cash to spend after goalkeeper Edouard Mendy completed a reported £22million to Chelsea.
City won’t be prepared to sell the defender on the cheap, however and have been adamant throughout the summer that any departure will only be on terms they deem acceptable. So far, Jamal Lewis’ sale to Newcastle United is the only major outgoing.
Max Aarons has been linked with a loan move to FC Barcelona - although a fresh report by respected Spanish journalist Guillem Balague states that Sergino Dest’s proposed move to the Nou Camp is edging closer.
Ronald Koeman’s side look set to beat Bayern Munich to the signature of the USA international - with the German club ready to swoop for City’s right-back should they lose the race to sign Dest.
Speaking in an interview to Sky Sports in July, City boss Daniel Farke said: “We need to keep them [unless] there is such a stupid offer that you can improve the squad with that money.
“I am quite confident that we can keep our best players and also if we do this we have a great chance to be really competitive next season.”