Good crowd sees Diss beat hosts Swaffham

Swaffham Town 1, Diss Town 4

It was encouraging to see so many supporters come to witness a fine game of football, despite the foggy and damp weather conditions.

They were treated to a fine display by both sides, the visitors gaining the luck of the run of the ball, as is so often when the teams are at the extremes of the league.

The visitors started strong, winning a corner in the first minute, but good defending cleared the lines and pushed the play into mid-field. Both sides settled but the deadlock was broken in the sixteenth minute, a bobbling low cross from the right, beat the centres leaving number 10, Peter Hooks to open for Diss.

The Pedlars imediately countered from the restart, Will O’Brien and Scott Voutt combining for Voutt to shoot but well taken by the keeper. Two minutes later the keeper had to desparately punch clear from a corner.

Good footwork by O’Brien, set Jake Platten down the left, his cross over the face of the goal missing all. Injury fears in the 30th minute, defenders Dwayne Hockton and just back from surgery, Lewis Hemeter clashing to clear the ball on the edge of the box.

Further action before half time saw two efforts by Nathan Cross come close, the first a header met by a Hemeter free kick, the second a wide shot following good play in mid-field.

Most Read

Early in the second half Richard Cornwall replaced Dwayne Hockton, unable to shake off the knock sustained in the 30th minute. Joe Jackson broke through in the 59th minute to be brought down, the resulting free kick causing a goal mouth scramble, Diss lucky to clear to safety.

Four minutes later Diss claimed their second, a fortunate deflection from a ball in from the left hand side teeing up a simple header to beat Dean Mayes. Craig Burton, back from injury, replaced Will O’Brien in midfield, good football between Cross and Burton set Jackson free but the ball was well covered by the Diss keeper.

Mayes clearance from a short pass back, struck Diss forward Hooks, for him to wrong-foot Mayes and claim his second in the 73rd minute.

Jackson came close in the 79th, his shot rolling wide. The visitors were denied by Mayes in the 83rd minute – it was the save of the game, pushing over fron a 25 yard rocket.

The Pedlars continues to push for an elusive goal, Jackson volleying, the defender’s head clearing for a corner. The cross was met by Richard Cornwall’s head but saved at the foot of the post.

Swaffham’s determination was rewarded in the 87th minute, a Jack Redhead free kick was half cleared, Scott Voutt heading home. From the restart, Diss broke strongly allowing Hooks to break clear, beating Mayes for his hat-trick.

Swaffham first team travel to the Recreation Ground, Downham next Saturday for the derby clash, kick off 3pm and then host Gorleston in the First Division Knock-out Cup, Tuesday 30 November 7.45pm k/o.

The Reserves are at home on Saturday, the visitors are Freethorpe, kick off 2pm. The ‘A’ Team travel away to Bridgham United kick off 2pm.