Gorleston 0, Mildenhall 1

Gorleston made five changes to the side that had lost to Walham le Willows. Adam Mills replaced Tom Daniels at right back, Reece Hunn returned to the left back spot and Eddie Thompson replaced Adam Thurtle in central defence.

With Andy Howell injured, Jack Marsden moved into a central midfield role, Gary Williams and Jack Garrod both started and Ally McKenna replaced Bradley Hough up front.

The Greens started well. Hunn forced the first save of the game when he cut in from the left and hit a drive which Hall keeper Josh Pope plucked out of the air just under his crossbar.

Elliot Pride had to dive low to save a Michael Harvey grasscutter after 19 minutes before, a minute later, Williams teed up Steve Taylor on the edge of the box but is attempted curler was over.

Gorleston were pushing Mildenhall back and working hard, having plenty of possession, with Williams covering lots of ground and McKenna strong against the big defenders, but the Greens couldn’t find the pass to produce a breakthrough.

Hall came more into the game as the half wore on and a minute before half time had their best chance. Proctor was allowed to continue into the Gorleston box chasing a long ball, even though he looked offside, but Pride was out quickly to save at his feet, the follow up falling to Andrew Wood who blasted it over.

Marsden was forced off at half time with a dead leg, with Adam Mills moving into his more familiar role in cenre midfield and Kyle Howell coming on at right back and the second half began with the Greens pressing forward once again.

Most Read

Garrod produced a neat turn just inside the corner of the box and fired goalwards but the ball found the side netting.

Gorleston were getting the ball down and keeping it high up the pitch, putting pressure on the Mildenhall penalty area.

Williams hit a twenty yarder which the keeper turned around his right post then, just after the hour mark, McKenna’s shot from inside the six yard box was blocked by a combination of two defenders. Chris Sandford followed up two yards out but the keeper got his legs in the way.

With 62 minutes on the clock, and somewhat against the run of play, Mildenhall took the lead when a high ball into the Gorleston penalty area was allowed to bounce and Proctor was on hand to fire it in, giving Pride no chance.

Three minutes later it could have been worse when Wood went through on goal, his shot beating Pride but Mills was back to clear off the line.

Gorleston rallied and midway through the half came a moment of controversy that could have altered the result of the match.

McKenna was brought down as he went into the Hall penalty area. The linesman, in a direct line with it, put his flag across his chest to indicate a penalty. The referee, from twenty yards behind the play, over-ruled him and awarded the free kick two yards outside the area.

Christy Finch replaced Taylor and his first touch was to take the free kick which was dipping under the bar, but the keeper rose to push it over.

Sandford hit a shot which was always rising and Mills had a couple of long range efforts as the Greens looked for a way through. They continued to press Hall back and were playing the better football, one move ending with Sandford firing into the side netting from a tight angle.

Keegan Middleton came on for the last ten minutes and came close to producing an equaliser. Mills pass put Middleton in at an angle, his clever little dink went over the keeper but a covering defender got back to head off the line.

All in all, it was a better performance from Gorleston than on Saturday, and one they deserved at least a point from.

• Gorleston: Elliot Pride, Adam Mills, Reece Hunn, Jack Marsden (Kyle Howell, 46), Olly Thomson, Eddie Thompson, Chris Sandford, Jack Garrod (Keegan Middleton, 79), Ally McKenna, Steve Taylor (Christy Finch, 68), Gary Williams

Booking: McKenna (42)

• Mildenhall: Josh Pope, Rogan McGeorge, Josh Turner (Isaac Jagroop, 71), James Paterson, Adrian Judge, Dave Werthmann, Michael Harvey, Alex Street, Andrew Wood, Owen Paynter (Steve Holder, 86), Wayne Proctor

Bookings: Turner (55), Werthmann (71)

Goal: Proctor (62)