Great Yarmouth Town 1, Walsham-le-Willows 3

Relegation refuses to be on the mind of manager Mike Derbyshire as Great Yarmouth’s losing run continued at home to Walsham-le-Willows, who started the game second bottom of the league.

An Adam Mills penalty in the second half cancelled out one from Brame’s brace but Soanes header from a free-kick four minutes from time sealed the three points.

With both teams low in confidence and in a relegation battle it was unsurprising to see a nervous start from both sides. Despite this it was the Yarmouth defence used most often, most notably when Giacomelli’s last ditch tackle denied Grown a shooting chance inside the area after 11 minutes.

A poor pass from Vide to Giacomelli presented Walsham with their first shot of the game. Grown’s free header from Diaper’s far post cross was easily collected by Greygoose.

Vide made amends when his ball into the area found Barnden. After rounding the goalkeeper the midfielder rolled the ball back to Mills who fired his long range shot over the crossbar.

Walsham made the early pressure count on 24 minutes when Lambet’s shot from the edge of the area rebounded off the crossbar following a good move on the left, Brame tapping in the rebound.

Yarmouth’s response came four minutes later when the visiting goalkeeper punched Vide’s cross to Mills whose volley stung the hands of the goalkeeper.

Most Read

Giacomelli was once again called into action ten minutes from half-time as Walsham looked to double their lead. Just as Foster looked to fire goalwards from Brame’s pass, the centre back’s tackle in the area forced a corner. From it a header bobbled across the six yard box with no Walsham player able to apply the final touch.

The visitors had two more chances down their right before the break. Six minutes from the break Grome’s low shot from Brame’s ball was easily saved by Greygoose. Four minutes later the two combined again when the former won the ball off Junior and played the ball back to the latter. This time the shot was deflected behind for a corner that came to nothing.

Yarmouth began the second half quickly and could have equalised within a minute of the restart. Simeon Lee stole the ball off the Walsham defence in the area and chipped the diving goalkeeper but his effort was cleared off the line by the retreating defenders.

But Walsham doubled their advantage when a quickly taken free-kick fell to Musgrove who had all the time needed to pick out Brame at the far post, who poked the ball home unchallenged from a yard out.

Both teams had great opportunities to get the third goal of the game as play became more open. Mills’ shot forced a good save from Walsham’s keeper while at the other end Greygoose kept out Diaper’s long range volley.

But the best chance fell to Yarmouth when a clearance from the visiting goalkeeper was charged down by Simeon Lee with the rebound falling to Jobbagy in the area, but he held onto the ball a moment too long and was dispossessed.

After good work on the Walsham left Musgrove’s volley forced an acrobatic save from Greygoose. From the resulting corner Yarmouth cleared and broke. Substitute Formoso found Simeon Lee but his ball across the six yard box was too far ahead of his teammates.

And it was the substitute that got Yarmouth back into the game, bursting into and drawing a foul in the opposition’s box. Captain Mills slammed the resulting penalty into the middle of the goal with the keeper diving out of the way.

Formoso was again involved on 78 minutes. After starting a move deep inside his own half the substitute burst forward and found Mills but his long range shot rose over the crossbar.

But all the hard work came to nothing and Walsham punished them against the run of play. A free-kick on the edge of the box was floated to the far post where Soanes leapt highest and headed Walsham into restoring their two goal advantage.

Derbyshire said after the game: ‘We are facing a changing side all the time here, we are full of youngsters. We will keep trying to play the right way but we are up against experience. Everyone knows about the budget now – it doesn’t make it easier but we are bringing quality players to the club Greygoose, Giacomelli, Lee, Harwin and Mills.

“Take the last four games in a row. We draw 1-1 with Diss, we go to Felixstowe, make five changes and lose 2-0. Against Wroxham we make at least another four changes and get thumped, and in a relegation six pointer we make five changes again. It’s really hard to get a settled side.

“I wouldn’t say relegation if even a possibility. It only becomes an issue for us when we are relegated: when someone says there is no chance of mathematically staying in the division. Four good results back to back and people will look at it differently. The players are good enough to get that.”

• Great Yarmouth Town: Greygoose, Harwin, Junior, Miller (Formoso, 56), Giacomelli, Baldock, Barnden, Mills (C), Jobbagy (Arajuo, 86), Simeon Lee, Vide. Unused Subs: Forbes, Hackleton, Addy.

Bookings: Miller (47)

Goals: Mills (71 pen)

• Walsham-le-Willows: McAnally, Morton, Labert (Claridge, 86), Soanes, Newman, Sim Lee, Brame, Foster, Grown, Musgrove (C), Diaper (Robinson, 83). Unused Subs: Claridge, Taylor.

Goals: Brame (24, 52); Soanes (86)

• Attendance: 69