Gunn assured Roberts that Canaries loan would be good for him
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The recommendation of Angus Gunn helped Norwich City to seal the loan signing of Manchester City talent Patrick Roberts for next season.
The Norwich-born England U21 keeper returned to his boyhood club and impressed during Daniel Farke's first season in charge, earning a £15million move to Southampton on the back of that campaign.
Gunn, son of Canaries legend Bryan, was quick to encourage the 22-year-old winger to follow the same path - having seen his former club join him in the Premier League.
"In Scotland I played against Kenny McLean a few times and just from watching from the outside they seem a good bunch and a good team," Roberts said of his loan switch.
"I was with Angus Gunn at Manchester City for a few years and with England, so I spoke to him before coming. He's a big Norwich fan himself so he only had good things to say about the city and the club itself.
You may also want to watch:
"So I've only had good, positive reviews and looking at the team, it looks good for next season."
Roberts was a key part of three title successes while on loan at Celtic but is looking to get back on track after a disappointing season in the Spanish top flight with relegated Girona - while Norwich were on their way to winning the Championship title.
- 1 Candid Cantwell opens up on struggles during 'whirlwind' summer
- 2 Dowell pledge from City boss
- 3 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
- 4 Lee Payne: Bruce has got it wrong over Norwich City and Premier League
- 5 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
- 6 City defender likened to a 'young Rio Ferdinand'
- 7 Ex-City star Murphy boosts hopes of new deal
- 8 Police interviews and faulty planes - the inside track on Onel's Cuba bow
- 9 Former City loanee set for new deal at Borussia Dortmund
- 10 City Q&A: One down. One to go
Speaking to City's official website, he added: "I watched a few games towards the end of the season and they've looked really good, so I'm really pleased to join a side that's got that momentum of winning the Championship."