City sign former Arsenal youngster Matthew Dennis
- Credit: Jason Dawson
Norwich City have completed the signing of Arsenal youngster Matthew Dennis.
The 18-year-old winger has penned a two-year deal at Carrow Road and will link up with David Wright’s development squad ahead of the new season.
Dennis joined the Gunners aged six, and went on to represent the club at every level of youth development up to under-23 level, where he was highly-rated.
He featured 12 times for Arsenal’s U23s last season, netting on two occasions. The youngster was also on the scoresheet in the FA Youth Cup fourth round victory over Southampton in January.
The 18-year-old was on a scholarship deal at the North London club, but it came to an end this summer.
You may also want to watch:
City’s development of young players was an attractive proposition for the youngster who will join up with former colleague Josh Martin.
“I’m really excited. I love the way Norwich play football, especially when the head coach gives young players opportunities,” he told the Canaries’ official website.
- 1 Spurs confirm Skipp has had surgery after injury with Canaries
- 2 Could City target any free agents this summer?
- 3 City star facing possible race for Euros fitness due to injury
- 4 Former City defender lands senior role at Wolves
- 5 Tettey's heartfelt thanks to City fans
- 6 City ranked top Premier League club for fan engagement
- 7 City transfer rumours: Manchester United defender in the frame
- 8 'My mission is not over' - Klose opens door to permanent Basel stay
- 9 City confirm Tettey and Vrancic exits
- 10 'All I can say is thank you' - Webber's personal tribute to departing City duo
“I know Josh Martin, as we were both at Arsenal together. He’s a really good friend of mine and seeing him break through to the first team gives me confidence and belief that I can do the same.”
Dennis is also capable of playing as a right-back.
The youngster feels as though he has a point to point following his departure from Arsenal.
He added: “The pitches here are great. The gym is nice, the food is nice, so everything is good.
“I’m most looking forward to proving to everybody what I can do, playing in front of the fans and changing the game.”
Dennis becomes City’s fifth summer signing, with the Canaries acting swiftly to bolster their squad following relegation from the Premier League.
The teenager becomes the second signing unveiled today after the club announced the arrival of American striker Sebastian Soto on a free transfer after his contract expired at German side Hannover 96.
Przemyslaw Placheta, Jacob Sorensen, and Bali Mumba have also committed their futures to Daniel Farke’s side as preparations for next season in the Championship ramp up.