Hasselbaink announces retirement
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink has announced his retirement from professional football. The 36-year-old Dutch forward, who left Cardiff in the summer, spent six days training with the Canaries in August but City boss Glenn Roeder ruled out any possibility of the striker signing for Norwich.
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink has announced his retirement from professional football.
The 36-year-old Dutch forward, who left Cardiff in the summer, spent six days training with the Canaries in August but City boss Glenn Roeder ruled out any possibility of the striker signing for Norwich.
At the time, Roeder said: “He only ever came here for training and people mustn't make too much of it. If I was to sign Jimmy Hasselbaink he wouldn't be here on trial or a test or anything like that - I wouldn't embarrass the man like that.
“Everyone knows what he has done in his career. He asked to come here for some training to improve his physical fitness because although you think you can get fit training on your own, you can't get as fit as you need to be for football without training in a group and playing football.
You may also want to watch:
“It was great having him around the place, it was good for our young strikers and young players in general, how he carried himself on the training ground and how he trained. He's still a very motivated guy and if you were in his team and you made a mistake he'd give you those eyes that made you run a million miles away.”
- 1 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 5 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 6 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
- 7 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 8 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 9 Operation Bounce Back: The story of City's promotion success
- 10 Banning orders and revenge mission wide of the mark for City chief