Hethersett goal blitz plus Mercury notes

Hethersett Athletic U14 dominated their penultimate league fixture at home to Dereham Wanderers, winning 20-0.

Goals from Matthew Youngs (8), Royce Stevenson (4), Josh Denny (3), Cain Living (3), Jack Walker and a first 11-a-side goal from defender James Lemmon with a header ensured a comfortable victory against Dereham who to their credit battled to the final whistle. Read, Parker, Butcher, Mehtab, Stone and Wyatt all contributed to the performance. Hethersett are now guaranteed a top-two finish and face leaders Thorpe in the last game of the season.

HETHERSETT U10 played the league’s new champions Old Catton in their second from last game of the season. With a change in formation the lads wanted to make it tight early on. This they did by frustrating Catton and with Dan and Ollie supporting each other up front could have gone ahead early on. As the game progressed Catton started to play some nice football but the defence of Ben and Luke were equal to this and Ryan was on fine form in goal. Catton then took the lead with a good goal. With time running out of the first half Catton scored another from a cross. In the second half Hethersett started to come into the game a bit more. Ben L was playing superbly down the left and made a great run but the Catton keeper made a good save. From the corner Max put a great ball in and Ollie headed it onto the bar. The game started to be stretched and Daegan made a great run down the right with the ball deflecting out for another corner. From this Luke had a shot that just went over. With seven minutes to go Catton scored their third goal.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U10 kicked off looking to maintain their unbeaten run for the season. Wymondham quickly got on the offensive and after showing great determination and winning three tackles Jacob Bush smashed a shot into the top corner. Number two did not take long to follow and it was from a long Henry Metcalf throw that Sonny Clarke rose superbly to head passed a stranded keeper. The third again was not far behind and again Henry was the creator, as he neatly beat his man on the edge of the box hit a shot the keeper saved and Bryn Mullen was on hand to knock in the rebound. Town were in total command now and from a lovely Henry cross the unfortunate Bulldogs defender headed past his own keeper. Luke Hunt tried to join the attack when he could to add to the scoreline, but the fifth was added again by Bryn, after he again followed in a shot. From nowhere Bulldogs pulled a goal back over the stranded Connor Milligan, but Town went straight up the other end and made it six before half-time when Lewis Thurston crashed in a lovely volley from the edge of the box. Josh Bush and Curtis Bell had been added to the game at this point and were both making valuable contributions. The second half was a much quieter affair regarding goals, although Town came close on many occasions they only managed to add a fantastic lob from Bryn with the keeper stranded off his line, and this was after Bulldogs had pulled another back when a shot flew into the top corner, and although Connor got both hands on the ball he could not keep it out. Full-time: 7-2. Wymondham Town United MoM: Sonny Clarke. Opposition MoM: Bryn Mullen.

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U12 ended their campaign away to Mulbarton and within 10 minutes were two up thanks to good finishing from Harry Denny and Tyler White. Mulbarton raised their game and scored three goals in quick succession to go into the break with a 3-2 lead. Hethersett started the second half slowly but, thanks to some individual brilliance from Oliver Warrington on the left-hand side, soon found the equaliser. Warrington then grabbed his second and Hethersett’s fourth before Lewis Fox rounded of an excellent second-half performance with Hethersett winning 5-3. This win secured Hethersett’s fourth away victory of the season and a respectable seventh place finish. Man-of-the-match went to Jayden Brooker who had a great second-half performance and pulled off two magnificent saves.

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U10 travelled to Old Catton and went down 3-0.

HETHERSETT U16 were involved in a good competitive bottom-of-the-table clash with Old Catton. The opponents were fired up and played with enthusiasm and commitment. Hethersett were equally keen to provide a good performance and some excellent movement off the ball in the first 20 minutes saw two fine goals from Toby Everett and Ollie Bell. The first half was rounded off with a looping header by Stuart Dix to make it 3-0. Old Catton pulled a goal back 10 minutes from the end of the game which set up a tense finish but Hethersett held on.

Most Read

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U9 visited Mulbarton and won 2-0 thanks to goals from Henry Kemp and Ethan Banks.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U10 hosted Dereham in a rearranged fixture, hoping to take revenge for the 2-0 defeat in their previous match. After a quiet start, United created the first chances when Jack C and Daniel both went close. Keeper Ollie, with a great a clearance downfield, put the Dereham defence under pressure, and Jack B took full advantage to open the scoring for Wymondham. Lucas and Massimo in defence were comfortably containing the visitors’ attack as United gained the upper hand, and deservedly went two up when Daniel fired home after good work down the right by Christy. On the restart, however, Dereham hit back with a fine long-shot to make it 2-1, and nearly equalised with a shot that came off the bar. Under pressure now, Wymondham responded with some great tackling in midfield by Bradley and non-stop effort up front by Ross. A great block by Lucas denied the visitors an equaliser before Wymondham earned a corner following Lucas’s determined run, and Daniel’s pin-point cross was neatly headed home by Christy. Karin then had a shot blocked and another run down the right from Christy almost added to the score, as Wymondham eventually ran out deserved winners. Final score: 3-1. This was a fine team effort. Joint MoM: Bradley Reid and Christy Maidman.