Hethersett Ladies lift cup
Cambridge University 1, Hethersett Athletic Ladies 2Hethersett Athletic Ladies retained the Eastern Region Women's League Cup after a very close encounter with Cambridge University.
Cambridge University 1, Hethersett Athletic Ladies 2
Hethersett Athletic Ladies retained the Eastern Region Women's League Cup after a very close encounter with Cambridge University.
There was little to choose between the teams, but it was Hethersett's teamwork and will to win that saw them through at Soham FC.
The cup win was a triumph for Hethersett manager Chris Bolderstone in his first season in charge of the side.
You may also want to watch:
He lost a number of key players at the beginning of the season to university and other clubs, but quickly set about re-building the team, bringing in some of the clubs very talented youth team players.
Cambridge took the lead after 15 minutes when they fired home following a corner. Hethersett hit back and top scorer Emily Coates equalised after 26 minutes when she burst through the defence and fired home.
- 1 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 2 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
- 3 Police interviews and faulty planes - the inside track on Onel's Cuba bow
- 4 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 5 'We want to stop the party' - Cherries fired up for City clash
- 6 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
- 7 City confirm fans will not return to Carrow Road this season
- 8 Pompey boss praises 'perfect model' at Norwich City
- 9 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
- 10 'Like a shield' - Canaries boss heaps praise on Webber's work
What turned out to be the winning goal came seconds before half-time when a speculative effort from Coates was fumbled by the keeper and the ball trickled into the net.
Both teams had chances in the second half with Hethersett having to scramble a shot off the line, whilst at the other end a shot clipped the bar. In the end they clung on to their narrow advantage and the celebrations began.
Hethersett need six points from their remaining three away league games to finish runners-up to Dagenham and Redbridge in the Eastern Region Women's League Premier Division.