Hethersett/Wymondham notes

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U13 beat St Andrew's 4-2 in a game played in torrential rain and strong wind. Both sides played good football in a positive mood. The first half ended goalless, but Hethersett took the lead through an own goal.

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U13 beat St Andrew's 4-2 in a game played in torrential rain and strong wind. Both sides played good football in a positive mood. The first half ended goalless, but Hethersett took the lead through an own goal. St Andrew's equalised before Hethersett regained the lead through Robert Warminger. Aaron O'Carroll extended the lead with a long-range drive shortly before the visitors pulled one back to set up a tight finish. Warminger scored his 18th of the season to secure the points. Special mention to Hethersett keeper Matthew Butcher for an assured performance in difficult conditions. Despite everybody getting wet through, both teams and supporters enjoyed the game.

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U12 went down 4-1 at home to Sprowston, with their goal coming from Conrad Doggett.

HETHERSETT U9 continued their good run of form with a 4-1 win over Diss and a 0-0 draw with Poringland. Scorers against Diss were Cameron Whiting (2), Kieran Stevens and Ben Lacey.

ATTLEBOROUGH U14 faced top-of-the-table Lakeford Rangers away in driving and freezing rain on Sunday. Despite a sterling effort from Boro, Lakeford managed to secure a 3-0 victory. Man of the match was defender Jordan Sacharczuk. Next week Attleborough are at home to North Walsham Town.

HETHERSETT U9 travelled to Diss to play them and Poringland. Hethersett kicked off playing Diss in the first game and although rain was lashing down, Hethersett started off brightly. Cameron and Aiden were playing well down the flanks and Ben L was holding the ball up and laying it off really well but Hethersett just couldn't make the breakthrough. In the last few minutes of the half Hethersett had four corners in a row and with the last one Max drilled the ball across and Cameron was at the back post to slot it in the net - great time to score just before half-time. The second half Dan and Thomas came on and Hethersett started to dictate the play. They got another goal just after half-time where Max laid a lovely through ball to Ben L who drilled it in the bottom corner. Cameron then went through their defence and got brought down just outside the area, he then picked himself up, took the free-kick and scored in the top corner 3-0. Another corner from Max, came out to Kieran who with a first-time shot scored in the bottom corner to make it 4-0. Diss then had some pressure but Ben K and Kieran were snuffing this out well. Ryan was also playing well in goal with some great decisions on coming out and his kicking. With two minutes to go, Diss scored from a corner but Hethersett came away with a victory. Full-time 4-1. With a 30-minute break Hethersett then played Poringland who every time they play them seem to have very tight games and this was no exception. Again Hethersett started off brightly Thomas was playing well on the right and getting forward well. With Aiden using his pace really well he created a couple of chances but Ben L just couldn't find the net. Aiden then got a free-kick just outside the area, which he took and the goalkeeper just saved at the foot of

a post. The second half again was very tight. Dan came on and was his usual consistent self and he managed to wriggle through a couple of players but the ball just fell away. With five minutes left Poringland put some pressure on with numerous corners but Ben K and Kieran were again very solid with some great interceptions at the back. With the rain still coming down the boys played out a very creditable draw. Full-time 0-0. Great credit to them all and the parents for braving the weather.

Most Read

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED LIZARDS U13 played away at Dereham in some very difficult conditions with strong winds and driving rain. Dereham Diamonds were not much of a threat to Wymondham's goal but, to their credit, they never gave up. Wymondham started slowly but soon found their feet and passed the ball very well. By half-time Wymondham were five goals ahead. The final score was 16-0. The goals were spread amongst the team proving what an unselfish game they played. Ryan and Sam S both scored a hat-trick. MoM Ryan for an all-round good effort and PoM Henry for some good assists.

MULBARTON WANDERERS U16B: A strong crosswind plus torrential rain meant that the game was somewhat of an ordeal for all concerned. Mulbarton opened the scoring against Nelson U16B with Ben G supplying the finish. The Wanderers enjoyed the benefit of the wind helping the attack but could not capitalise on the advantage sufficiently to score any more before half-time.

Second period Nelson equalised with a header then Adam W scuffed a great chance to put Mulbarton back in front. Goalkeeper Stuart pulled off a great save to keep the Wanderers in the match, followed shortly by Adam W making amends by putting Mulbarton back in the lead. Nelson pulled level with a great strike and towards the end Mulbarton were on the back foot soaking up pressure. The game ended in a 2-2 draw, which was a fair result. MoM: Jim D.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U12 hoped to avenge an earlier cup defeat against Costessey but in appalling conditions they lost 6-3. Chris and Lewis broke forward early on, but they were unable to get a shot on target following good interplay. Costessey gained improved possession and their right forward eased clear of the defence and finished well. A second goal followed soon after, when the Wymondham defence failed to clear and the Costessey striker scored from close range. Wymondham gallantly fought back and Daniel surged forward on the right and his diagonal ball into the box was lifted over the advancing keeper by Lewis, and as the ball rolled goal-bound, Chris drove home. This should have been the catalyst to drive the Wymondham team forward, but a missed offside, followed by a poorly defended corner allowed Costessey to once again steal the initiative in the match. Two further goals just before half-time saw Costessey take a 5-1 advantage. The second half could have been one-way traffic, but the Wymondham players showed a true team spirit which was fantastic to see, and whilst they conceded a further goal, their effort was rewarded when Nathan scored his first two goals for the club. Both were well-taken efforts, demonstrating his strength in holding off the opposition, and speed and calm finishing in one-on-one situations. Jamie and Tom W showed improved defensive positioning in the second half, whilst there were good contributions by Tom F and Oliver throughout. PoM: Nathan for two well-taken goals.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U14 played away to Costessey in the worst weather conditions they have ever played in. Costessey soon led the game. Nic Parker delivered a great cross into the box which Jack Morris rose to score from with a perfect header. The home team then shocked Wymondham with three quickfire goals. Second half and with the rain now driving the other way Wymondham played much better football. Harvey White celebrated with his first of the season and a trio more for Jack Morris, making his total four on the day. In the final minute of play Wymondham were awarded a penalty for hand-ball and Dan Brindle rescued a point for the team after a well-composed strike. Final score: Costessey 6, Wymondham 6. MoM: Jack Morris.