Hockering so close to stealing point
Hockering Ladies pulled out all the stops at home to Colt Jags, despite missing influential players.
They were so close to stealing a point from the experienced Division One side.
Hockering started strongly, pushing forward early with pressure from Tammy and Faye working hard up front from the start.
Some great link-up play from Codie at right-back through Fiona & Shanice in midfield set up some great early chances that Hockering were unlucky not to convert.
Even with first-class defending from Mel Moore supported well by surrounding players, Colt Jags fought back hard and were rewarded with a goal shortly before half time.
You may also want to watch:
The home side started the second half with some trepidation and a mix up at the back saw Colt Jags capitalise with a second goal.
Despite looking odds on for a reply goal, the away side managed to break again increasing their lead to 3-0.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v Norwich City - McLean tests positive for Covid-19
- 3 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 4 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 5 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe
- 6 Farke's words of advice for Soto
- 7 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 8 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 9 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 10 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
This goal caused super stand-in keeper Jo Haynes to swap outfield with a broken finger, having gone all out to make the save.
This seemed to rile Hockering and give them more determination to fight back. Mel M kindly stepped in between sticks, leaving Haynes to buoy the midfield and initiate the second-half comeback.
Solid defending from Kayleigh and Mel B kept Colt Jags strikers at bay whilst some speedy overlapping play from Kat and Tilly turned the tables on the leading team.
Tammy was first to capitalise seeing the keeper off her line, she touched the ball easily past the defender from outside the 18-yard box & curled the ball straight into the top right-corner of the net.
Momentum was building in Hockering’s favour with Kate battling hard in midfield to ensure Hockering kept possession, supported well by Caron, hooking up with Shanice who kept feeding those killer balls in with Fiona and Faye both chasing hard, coming close to scoring on a number of occasions.
Some committed defending from Colt Jags forced a corner from these mounting attacks and the home side were keen to take this opportunity. Shanice picked up the ball from the clearance and stuck a screamer in the back of the net to close the gap to 3-2.
Game on. Hockering saw a point within reach and continued the pressure with fresh legs and energy up front from Bryony chasing every opportunity down.
However it was not meant to be, time was not on Hockering’s side and the final whistle blew halting the attack.
Without doubt a brilliant team performance, showing real strength of character and huge amounts of potential. Very exciting season ahead!
Player of the match: shared jointly between Codie and Fiona who both pulled out all the stops for the full 90 minutes.