Horsford United 5 Delaney's 2

Realising I'd only watched one so far this season, I opted to see another Premier Division game.

Evening News Norwich Sunday League Premier Division: Horsford United 5 Delaney's 2

Realising I'd only watched one so far this season, I opted to see another Premier Division game.

Before last Sunday's matches, both Horsford United and Delaney's were still, mathematically at least, title contenders so it would be interesting to see who came out on top when they faced each other at Horsford rec.

Their meeting back in January had finished 1-1 but a draw would be no good to either team. Horsford started the brighter and striker Scott McKinney forced Delaney's goalkeeper Andy Jackson into two impressive stops before the half-hour mark.

You may also want to watch:

Delaney's were then dealt a blow when Andy Eastaugh succumbed to an ankle injury picked up in the early stages of the game and he made way for substitute Andy Viner.

Despite the setback and arguably against the run of play, Delaney's took the lead when James Pullman shimmied though the Horsford defence before placing the ball past Peter Gould.

Most Read

The home side were unable to engineer a reply before the break, and instead went further behind seven minutes into the second half.

Gould completely misjudged a cross on the edge of his area, the ball falling to Matt Banham who only had to steer the ball into an empty net.

At 2-0, the Norfolk Sunday Senior Cup champions seemed to be on course for a comfortable victory but, with half-an-hour to go, Horsford began their comeback.

McKinney opened the scoring for Horsford when he was put through with a great ball on 58 minutes and completed the move with a finish to match.

It was a further 12 minutes before relentless Horsford pressure resulted in the equaliser courtesy of Paul Duncan, and the two sides looked to be heading for a share of the points.

But Delaney's might as well have already been tucking into a Sunday roast for all the fight they showed in the remaining minutes.

Horsford went ahead when Simon Blowers crossed for McKinney to score his second, and McKinney returned the favour seven minutes later when he picked out Blowers who made it 4-2. Player-manager Darren Nicholls saw his shot cleared off the line before McKinney completed his hat-trick, scoring from a cross by Mark Bailes.

As it turned out, the result was academic as Marlborough beat Hethersett Athletic to take the Premier Division title.

t Horsford United 5: McKinney 58, 73 and 87, Duncan 70, Blowers 80; Delaney's 2: Pullman 37, Banham 52

t Horsford: 1 Peter Gould 7, 2 John Davids 7, 3 Lee Gorbould 7, 4 Ben Hewitt 7, 5 Darren Nicholls 8, 6 Paul Timm 7, 7 Paul Duncan 7, 8 Mark Bailes 7, 9 Scott McKinney 8, 10 Simon Blowers 8, 11 Darren Sharpe 7 (12 Ben Knockolds 89). Sub unused: 14 Neil Pyle.t Delaney's: 1 Andy Jackson 7, 6 Mark Andrews 6, 15 Robert Eastaugh 6, 2 Steve Eastaugh 6, 12 Chris Edmunds 6, 4 Graham Challlen 7, 7 Ryan Lythgoe 6, 8 Andy Eastaugh 6 (3 Andy Viner 33 7), 9 James Pullman 6, 10 Matt Banham 6, 11 Liam Doyle 6.

t Attendance: 26

t Man of the match: Scott McKinney

t Referee: Brian Applegate

t Bookings: Delaney's: Mark Andrews, Matt Banham

t Shots on: Horsford 10, Delaney's 3

t Shots off: Horsford 1, Delaney's 3

t Corners: Horsford 5, Delaney's 1

t Offsiders: Horsford 4, Delaney's 3

t Fouls: Horsford 12, Delaney's 10

t Weather: Decidedly un-spring like

t Mascot of the Match: Gromit the puppy

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus