How have Norwich City fared on opening day in recent years (it’s not good)?
- Credit: Andrew Tobin/Focus Images Ltd
Excitement – and anticipation – levels are high as 3pm at Craven Cottage on Saturday approaches for Norwich City fans.
But it will be difficult for City fans to forget that Fulham are something of a bogey team – and that Norwich City’s opening day form in recent years is verging on awful.
Research by Bookmakers.tv has analysed each of England’s 92 football league clubs’ opening day results from the last decade and has found that the Canaries are in 90th place in the table with a meagre total of six points.
Three came from the 4-1 win at Blackburn a year ago, while the others were from a 2-2 home draw with Everton in 2013, a 1-1 draw at Wigan in 2011 and the goalless stalemate at Preston in 2007.
The only teams below City are Bristol Rovers and, rock bottom, Barnsley, both with five points. Barnsley also have the worst goal difference – they have conceded 16 more goals than they scored in opening day fixtures.
You may also want to watch:
Ipswich Town scored 17 points and are placed 16th.
Opening day matches can often be cagey and Nottingham Forrest has the best defensive record with five goals conceded, which is an impressive five times less than the goals shipped-in by Norwich (25).
- 1 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 2 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 3 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 4 'I am really happy here' - City star Buendia not worried about speculation
- 5 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 6 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
- 7 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 8 'Good riddance' - Norwich fans react to European Super League plans
- 9 Six things you might have missed after City's promotion party
- 10 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
Chelsea have the best opening day record, having picked up 26 of a possible 30 points on offer.
The Blues – who have also scored the most goals in opening day matches (26) – are one of just two sides who have avoided an opening day defeat in the last 10 years, along with fellow Premier League club Watford, who sit sixth in the overall list with 20 points.
Blackpool have the best record of any non-Premier League club. In third place on the list, the Seasiders have an identical record to Manchester United (six wins, two draws and two defeats).