‘Love the name on the front of the shirt, not the back’ - Daniel Farke’s message to his Norwich City players
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Daniel Farke declared the furore around Nelson Oliveira’s Fulham spat is now over for him - but warned no-one at Norwich City is bigger than the club.
Farke made it clear on Monday afternoon he was less than impressed with the Portuguese striker’s public show of defiance, after his equaliser at Craven Cottage, when he spoke to media ahead of Tuesday’s League Cup tie against Swindon Town.
The bare-chested Oliveira was booked at Fulham after racing towards the German head coach brandishing his shirt with his name on the back after being left out of the City starting XI.
“I think too much attention has been on this Nelson thing. I don’t want to speak any more about Nelson Oliveira,” he said. “Just a general thing. Without mentioning any player. I heard a sentence, I think it might have been Tony Adams, I am not sure, who once said it is quite important that you love the name on the shirt, but on the front, not the back. I believe this. It is about the club, not one player. That is quite important. For me, it is really important to have this feeling that all the guys are concentrated on working for the club, not for themselves.
“When I realise there is a player or a member of staff who doesn’t feel like that, it is my job to remind them on this topic. It is not about working for yourself but for the club, and to give everything for the club. It is about your team mates and the group. That is why I am here. Let’s not talk about special players. It is my task to remind them on this topic and if I get the impression I have to remind them I will act and I will remind them.”
You may also want to watch:
• Re-live the live updates from the press conference via the window above.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Reported target set to snub Canaries
- 2 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 3 Canaries' ace Billy Gilmour belts out karaoke classic in city
- 4 Exiled City duo feature in stunning U23 friendly comeback
- 5 'A lot of potential there' - City defender on trial at Coventry
- 6 City confirm midfielder exit
- 7 'He is going to be a top, top player'- City star on Gilmour
- 8 Fans set for Carrow Road return in Gillingham friendly
- 9 Fans could need both jabs to attend Premier League matches under new plans
- 10 City duo self-isolating after positive Covid tests