Huckerby may struggle to regain place
Darren Huckerby could find himself out of a job tomorrow night after completing his three-match suspension. The Canaries wide man is usually a shoo in for a place in the starting line-up, but City's 2-0 win over Coventry at the weekend has left manager Glenn Roeder with a pleasant selection problem to resolve.
Darren Huckerby could find himself out of a job tomorrow night after completing his three-match suspension.
The Canaries wide man is usually a shoo in for a place in the starting line-up, but City's 2-0 win over Coventry at the weekend has left manager Glenn Roeder with a pleasant selection problem to resolve.
Matty Pattison, brought in on loan from Newcastle, played wide left and set up both goals, while centre midfielders Darel Russell and Mark Fotheringham looked to be a partnership in the making - and Luke Chadwick did nothing on the right.
Roeder now has to decide whether or not to disrupt a winning team - even it means leaving out the livewire Huckerby, who has missed three games after being sent off against Ipswich three weeks ago.
You may also want to watch:
“I want that problem all over the pitch,” said Roeder, giving away few clues. “Give me a problem in every position in every game - I think having pressure on your place if you don't play well is a marvellous thing to have.
“The bottom line is 99pc of them do want to play in the first team, you don't have too many, if your want, skivers who are quite happy to pick up their money.
- 1 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
- 2 MATCHDAY RECAP: Hornets frustrate City in title tussle
- 3 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 4 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 6 City lose Giannoulis appeal; three-game ban stands
- 7 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 8 Pressure on Hornets for title-hunting City
- 9 PRESSER LIVE: City v Watford - Hanley, Pukki, Cantwell injury doubts
- 10 Norwich City v Watford: everything you need to know
“They do want to play and there is nothing better to keep them on their toes than knowing if they don't play well there is a chance they might lose their shirt - and who knows when they will get it back again.
“Darren Huckerby was in the dressing room before the game, he wanted to be with the team, which pleased me, and he was one of the first back in the dressing room afterwards to congratulate all the players.
“But, who knows? There might just be a doubt in his mind and that is a nice doubt for him to have - whereas before, who knows? He has got to get that shirt back.”