Hughes a City boy, then
Former Motherwell midfielder Stephen Hughes was today set to become Norwich City boss Bryan Gunn's latest summer signing. According to the player's agent the former Rangers midfielder, out of contract at the Fir Park side, has agreed a three-year deal reported to be worth �7,000-per-week with the Canaries.
Former Motherwell midfielder Stephen Hughes was today set to become Norwich City boss Bryan Gunn's latest summer signing.
According to the player's agent the former Rangers midfielder, out of contract at the Fir Park side, has agreed a three-year deal reported to be worth �7,000-per-week with the Canaries.
Gunn looks to have landed the much-sought after 26-year-old's signature after the player took time to weigh up all his options with Scottish Premier League side Hearts also in the reckoning.
His agent Tom Callaghan said: “There was a lot of interest in Stephen and we are now just happy to have concluded the deal.
You may also want to watch:
“Stephen talked to Norwich last week and asked for some time to think over the offer. I said then that it wasn't dead in the water.
“To be fair to them, they were patient and once Stephen had thought it through he saw it as the way ahead.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Hornets frustrate City in title tussle
- 2 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Watford defeat
- 5 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
- 6 Farke laments 'average' City display in Watford defeat
- 7 QPR forced to deny manager is leaving ahead of City clash
- 8 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 9 Norwich City v Watford: everything you need to know
- 10 City lose Giannoulis appeal; three-game ban stands
“Norwich may have been relegated last season, but clearly they are an ambitious side and they are looking at getting back into the Championship as swiftly as possible.”
Hughes was also wanted by Hearts, but they could not come close to the deal offered by the Canaries, who were relegated to the third tier of the English league last season.
Motherwell tried to get Hughes to agree an extension while former Fir Park manager Mark McGhee was keen to take him to Aberdeen.
Stephen Hughes factfile
Height: 5 feet 11
Appearances: Rangers 89 (7 goals), Leicester 100 (8), Motherwell 73 (3)