Hugill to follow in City greats footsteps with squad number
- Credit: Norwich City FC
New Norwich City signing Jordan Hugill has been handed the number nine shirt for the upcoming season.
The 28-year-old was confirmed as a City player on Monday, completing his move from Premier League side West Ham United for an undisclosed fee.
Hugill has put pen to paper on a three-year deal at Carrow Road and trained for the first time with his new teammates on Tuesday morning.
City have had some iconic number nines throughout the years, including Grant Holt, Iwan Roberts, Dion Dublin, Justin Fashanu and numerous others.
Chris Sutton, Mark Robins and Robert Fleck has also had the number nine emblazoned on the back of their yellow and green shirts in recent history.
You may also want to watch:
The last player to hold the number was Nelson Oliveira - who inherited it from loan player Dieumerci Mbokani after City’s relegation from the Premier League.
Club record signing Ricky van Wolfswinkel also held the number after joining from Sporting Lisbon in 2013, but he failed to create a goalscoring legacy in Norfolk.
- 1 City Q&A recap: What does Giannoulis signing mean for Quintilla?
- 2 City keeper issues injury update
- 3 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
- 4 'He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed at City
- 5 PROFILE: Raw determination and loan education helped City's incoming left-back emerge at PAOK
- 6 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper
- 7 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 8 Young City winger completes permanent Harrogate Town move
- 9 City legend details Webber conversation before sporting director appointment
- 10 Chris Goreham: A new experience providing coverage of Norwich City...
Loanee Dean Marney, Chris Killen and Kyle Lafferty are some of the less memorable City number nines.
Norwich City number nines
Jordan Hugill (20/21) Nelson Oliveira (16/17 - 17/18), Dieumerci Mbokani (15/16), Kyle Lafferty (14/15), Ricky van Wolfswinkel (13/14), Grant Holt (09/10 - 12/13), Chris Killen (08/09), Dion Dublin (07/08), Dean Marney (05/06), Mattias Jonson (04/05), Iwan Roberts (00/01 - 03/04)
Mark Robins (94/95), Gary Megson (93/94 - 94/95), Chris Sutton (93/94), Rob Newman (91/92), Ruel Fox (91/92), Darren Beckford (91/92), Tim Sherwood (90/91), Robert Rosario (86/87 - 89/90), Malcolm Allen (88/89), Robert Fleck (87/88)
David Hodgson (86/87), Wayne Biggins (85/86), John Deehan (82/83 - 84/85), Louie Donowa (83/84), Joe Royle (80/81), Justin Fashanu (78/79 - 79/80), Dave Robb (78/79)
Richard Symonds (78/79), Roger Gibbins (76/77 - 77/78), Viv Busby (76/77), Phil Boyer (75/76), David Cross (72/73 - 73/74), Colin Suggett (73/74), Max Briggs (72/73)