Hyde United 0, King's Lynn 1

The Linnets were making only their second visit to Ewan Fields in search of league points, the last being some 26 years ago when they suffered a 2-0 defeat at the hands of the Tigers redeemed by a 2-1 success the following season in the FA Trophy.

The Linnets were making only their second visit to Ewan Fields in search of league points the last being some 26 years ago.

Lynn were still seeking their first BSN League 'double' of the season having beaten the Tigers 4-1 at The Walks earlier in September.

Team news saw Ross Kelly making a first start in a King's Lynn shirt and Kris Renton and Dominic Dwyer continuing as the starting strike force with Jack Defty who had made his 300th appearance for the Linnets last week reverting to the bench. S

Scott Mitchell moved to take Defty's number 11 shirt in an otherwise unchanged line-up from the team which had drawn 1-1 with Vauxhall Motors last Saturday.

An early free-kick for Lynn taken by Graham saw Dwyer make an early attempt, the youngster taking a knock as an easy ball eventually found its way to the keeper.

Hyde's lively front pairing of Daniel Douglas-Pringle and Chris Simm almost broke through with Thomas having to concede the first corner of the game to relieve the danger.

Most Read

From Manship's flag-kick, Hyde centre-half and captain Kilbane headed narrowly over the bar.

Following a foul by Munroe on Renton, Smith's free-kick forced a miskick in the Hyde defence, the ball going for Lynn's first corner. The kick, taken by Smith, saw a strong header at the back post from Mark Peters cleared off the line by the Hyde defenders.

Lynn forced a second corner when, from a ball over the top by Graham, Renton was tackled by a defender, the ball going for the flag-kick, again taken by Smith.

Again Lynn came very close as the header, this time from Thomas, struck his own player Renton, the ball being deflected away.

A good move involving three Lynn players, namely Smith, Johnson and Kelly, saw the latter fire in a good cross which was headed away under pressure by Oakes.

Lynn forced yet another corner, taken by Smith, and again their set-pieces caused panic in the Hyde defence, with Peters climbing high to put a powerful header inches wide of the post.

At the other end, as Hyde came back into the match, Manship finally had the best of three chances as Lynn dithered and the Hyde attack opened up their defence, but he dallied too long and the chance was squandered.

A nice ball played down the line found Hyde's leading scorer Chris Simm. He cut inside and fired a low shot at Howie's goal, but the keeper got down well to make the save.

t Half-time: Hyde United 0, King's Lynn 0

Neither side made a change for the second half.

First action saw Smith find Renton whose hard, low cross saw Mitchell fire in a fierce drive which brought a fine save from goalkeeper Bernstein.

For Hyde, Lynch had a good shot blocked following a ball headed out from a right-wing cross. Hyde then made a substitution, taking off Oakes to be replaced by Owens.

A great 60-yard run along the left touchline from Clee came to nought as he was crowded out at the end. Douglas-Pringle broke away on Hyde's left, and as he cut in he lifted his scoring attempt over Howie's bar. In a matter of minutes Hyde twice almost worked clear-cut chances, but again their final efforts went astray.

On 62 minutes Lynn made their first substitution, with Charlie Defty replacing Camm.

A Hyde attack saw Peters block a goalbound effort from Manship, and the defenders followed up with further blocks from Simm and Douglas-Pringle.

On 71 minutes Lynn made a second change, bringing on Jack Defty for Kris Renton. Lynn's defenders were under pressure as Hyde sought the decisive goal but continued to waste chances.

Douglas-Pringle then fired a snap shot that was well held by Howie after a long throw had been headed out to the lively Hyde leader.

For Lynn, Dominic Dwyer did well to get to the byline and cross a hard, low ball into the box, but no one was up to take advantage.

From the breakaway by Hyde, Howie had to come to Lynn's rescue with a brave dive at the feet of Douglas-Pringle.

Lynn then made a further substitution, replacing Kelly with Fisk.

Hyde won their fourth corner of the half, which was easily cleared with Dwyer again reaching the byline, but his cross was blocked and the diminutive striker received a knock in the process.

Hyde replaced Manship with Tolson.

A good build-up by Lynn involving Smith, Jack Defty and Johnson saw the Lynn captain power in a piledriver from 30 yards to produce a brilliant save by Bernstein at the expense of a corner, the kick coming to nothing following a foul on the goalkeeper.

At the other end it was Howie's turn to make a fine save from Douglas-Pringle, following a good build-up involving the two Hyde substitutes, Owens and Tolson.

Once again there was to be a twist in the tale of a Lynn fixture, with a 92nd minute goal.

Dwyer did well to reach the byline and square a hard, low ball back to Mitchell, whose hard drive was blocked by Kilbane only for the ball to rebound out for Andrew FISK to shoot hard and low past Bernstein from 10 yards to complete King's Lynn's first league double in the Conference Blue Square North.

t Result: Hyde United 0, King's Lynn 1

t King's Lynn: Howie, Graham, Smith, Peters, Thomas, Camm, Kelly, Johnson, Renton, Dwyer, Mitchell. Subs: J Defty, Fisk, C Defty, Crane, Murray.

t Hyde United: Bernstein, Howarth, Oakes, Munroe, Kilbane, Fitzhenry, Lynch, Manship, Douglas-Pringle, Simm, Clee. Subs: Rich, Innes, Owens, Tolson, Dootson.

t Ref: Mr P Bankes

t Att: 305