“I’m loving Angus Gunn already!” – Norwich City fans react to narrow victory over Swindon Town in first round of Carabao Cup
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City fans have been discussing seeing their team make hard work of knocking out League Two side Swindon in the first round of the Carabao Cup.
City fell behind in head coach Daniel Farke’s first competitive Carrow Road fixture when Robins skipper Olly Lancashire nodded home a free-kick in the 25th minute.
The lead didn’t last long though as Maddison squeezed a low pass through to Cameron Jerome less than two minutes later, with the striker firing home his first goal of the season from 10 yards.
It then became a story of master and apprentice as the experienced Wes Hoolahan was teed up by Maddison to lash into the top-left corner in the 39th minute. The Irishman then returned the favour and set up 20-year-old Maddison, who fired low across the keeper from 12 yards to put the hosts in the driving seat.
More poor defensive work from a free-kick saw Paul Mullin head home in the 62nd minute to give the Robins hope and Angus Gunn had to make three fine saves to steer City into the second round, the draw for which is made on Thursday night.
You may also want to watch:
Take a look at some of the best of the reaction above
• Follow post-match updates from Carrow Road in our Matchday Live blog at pinkun.com/live
- 1 Aarons suffers shin injury
- 2 Thankless task for makeshift striker Marco in Coventry draw
- 3 'I am not injured. I'm just no longer wanted' - Drmic makes his case
- 4 Paddy Davitt: City player ratings against Sky Blues
- 5 Six things you might have missed after City suffered late heartbreak to draw with Coventry
- 6 Farke admits injury crisis is 'surreal'
- 7 Paddy Davitt verdict: Farke and the City curse
- 8 Former City midfielder heads Down Under
- 9 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 10 Norwich City kick-off times changed due to TV coverage