Iceland youth international leaves City to sign for Norwegian club
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Icelandic youth international Atli Barkarson has left Norwich City.
The 18-year-old left-back has joined Norwegian second tier promotion hopefuls Fredrikstad FK permanently after a trial period.
Barkarson was signed from Icelandic club Volsungur IF in 2017 and signed a professional deal the next summer having been part of the under-18 squad which reached the FA Youth Cup quarter-finals.
He has five caps at U19 level for Iceland and was a regular for City's U18s last season, with occasional U23 involvement, but hadn't feature in the opening three U23 games of this season.
Barkarson told FFK's website: "It's a big club, a kind of sleeping giant on the way up. After Norwich I was looking for first team experience.
You may also want to watch:
"It's all up to me to perform and do what I can to get into the first team and contribute to help the team get promoted. I will be training with the team every day to develop and I'm thankful for the opportunity."
- 1 Farke admits injury crisis is 'surreal'
- 2 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 3 Norwich City kick-off times changed due to TV coverage
- 4 Six things you might have missed after City suffered late heartbreak to draw with Coventry
- 5 'I want to create history' - Farke reveals mission to build a legacy at Norwich City
- 6 Former City midfielder heads Down Under
- 7 Chris Goreham: The school field trip that Zimmermann could do without
- 8 'I am not injured. I'm just no longer wanted' - Drmic makes his case
- 9 Canaries drawn to face Coventry City at Carrow Road in FA Cup third round
- 10 Norwich City Debate Recap: Academy prospects to fill in, loan break clauses and Drmic all discussed