Iceland youth international leaves City to sign for Norwegian club
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Icelandic youth international Atli Barkarson has left Norwich City.
The 18-year-old left-back has joined Norwegian second tier promotion hopefuls Fredrikstad FK permanently after a trial period.
Barkarson was signed from Icelandic club Volsungur IF in 2017 and signed a professional deal the next summer having been part of the under-18 squad which reached the FA Youth Cup quarter-finals.
He has five caps at U19 level for Iceland and was a regular for City's U18s last season, with occasional U23 involvement, but hadn't feature in the opening three U23 games of this season.
Barkarson told FFK's website: "It's a big club, a kind of sleeping giant on the way up. After Norwich I was looking for first team experience.
You may also want to watch:
"It's all up to me to perform and do what I can to get into the first team and contribute to help the team get promoted. I will be training with the team every day to develop and I'm thankful for the opportunity."
- 1 City Q&A recap: What does Giannoulis signing mean for Quintilla?
- 2 City keeper issues injury update
- 3 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
- 4 'He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed at City
- 5 PROFILE: Raw determination and loan education helped City's incoming left-back emerge at PAOK
- 6 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper
- 7 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 8 Young City winger completes permanent Harrogate Town move
- 9 City legend details Webber conversation before sporting director appointment
- 10 Chris Goreham: A new experience providing coverage of Norwich City...