Iceland youth international leaves City to sign for Norwegian club
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Icelandic youth international Atli Barkarson has left Norwich City.
The 18-year-old left-back has joined Norwegian second tier promotion hopefuls Fredrikstad FK permanently after a trial period.
Barkarson was signed from Icelandic club Volsungur IF in 2017 and signed a professional deal the next summer having been part of the under-18 squad which reached the FA Youth Cup quarter-finals.
He has five caps at U19 level for Iceland and was a regular for City's U18s last season, with occasional U23 involvement, but hadn't feature in the opening three U23 games of this season.
Barkarson told FFK's website: "It's a big club, a kind of sleeping giant on the way up. After Norwich I was looking for first team experience.
You may also want to watch:
"It's all up to me to perform and do what I can to get into the first team and contribute to help the team get promoted. I will be training with the team every day to develop and I'm thankful for the opportunity."
- 1 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 2 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: City v Watford - Hanley, Pukki, Cantwell injury doubts
- 4 'I am really happy here' - City star Buendia not worried about speculation
- 5 'Good riddance' - Norwich fans react to European Super League plans
- 6 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
- 7 Six things you might have missed after City's promotion party
- 8 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 9 'I rate him. He's a fantastic player' - Farke open to Skipp return
- 10 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate