Ipswich 2, Norwich 1

Norwich City slipped to defeat in this East Anglian derby despite being given the perfect start by Ched Evans.Striker Evans scored a stunning goal in the fourth minute to put the Canaries ahead, but an own goal by Alex Pearce from a cross by Danny Haynes brought Town level after 11 minutes.

Norwich City slipped to defeat in the East Anglian derby despite being given the perfect start by Ched Evans against Ipswich at Portman Road.

Striker Evans scored a stunning goal in the fourth minute to put the Canaries ahead, but an own goal by Alex Pearce from a cross by Danny Haynes brought Town level after 11 minutes.

Haynes was once again the man to sink Norwich when he struck the winner after 38 minutes from a Pablo Counago pass.

The Canaries could have few complaints as Town squandered several chances to stretch their lead and City 'keeper David Marshall made three excellent saves.

You may also want to watch:

Skipper Mark Fotheringham was a surprise absentee from the City teamsheet.

Fotheringham was ruled out by a neck injury he suffered in training, and Jason Shackell was also left out of the starting line-up.

Most Read

There were recalls for Gary Doherty and Evans as manager Glenn Roeder made two changes.

Ipswich made three changes to the eleven who started the 1-1 draw against Cardiff on Wednesday night, with Pablo Counago, Shefki Kuqi and David Wright recalled. There was no place in the 16 for striker Alan Lee.

City made the perfect start when Evans rifled in a right-foot shot from more than 25 yards to give them the lead after less than four minutes.

But Town levelled seven minutes later when Haynes crossed from the right and Pearce turned the ball into his own net.

Twice in the space of three minutes, Marshall had to be at his best to keep Norwich on terms. First he dived to his right to keep out a free kick from Miller and then there was a golden chance for Kuqi, set up by Counago, to give Ipswich the lead but Marshall closed him down and produced a vital close-range save.

Midway through the half, Russell let fly left-footed from the edge of the area, but sliced his effort wide.

Town began to get on top and Haynes fired over the top before De Vos headed narrowly over from a Garvan corner.

With 32 minutes gone, Marshall produced another excellent save to keep out a header from Bruce from a Quinn corner.

Ten minutes before the interval, Kuqi hobbled off to be replaced by Walters.

After 38 minutes, Ipswich went ahead when Haynes scored from a tight angle following a pass by Counago, slipping the ball through Marshall's legs.

In first half stoppage time, Counago headed over the top from a dangerous cross from Haynes as Ipswich ended the half on top.

Half-time: Ipswich Town 2, Norwich City 1

Three minutes after the restart, Bruce was booked for a foul on Evans.

Walters and then Miller both went close with long-range efforts for Ipswich before there was another booking for Quinn when he fouled Russell.

Ipswich replaced Bruce with Castro after 56 minutes and then Quinn was lucky to escape a second yellow for another late challenge on Russell.

Haynes missed a glorious chance to make it 3-1 when he fired wide after a slip by Doherty.

Huckerby was shown the yellow card after an hour for a foul on Quinn.

Norwich were making very little headway and Miller shot over the top as Ipswich pressed again.

With 63 minutes gone, City made a change when Croft was sent on in place of Dublin.

Bertrand then needed treatment after being caught by a challenge by Haynes.

Counago missed a useful chance after 69 minutes when Haynes set him up but he failed to connect cleanly and his weak shot was saved by Marshall.

With 18 minutes left, City made a second change when Camara replaced Bertrand.

After 76 minutes, Walters was desperately close when he shaved the post with a low shot.

Evans became the next player to be booked for bringing down Haynes.

With seven minutes left, Marshall produced another excellent save in a one-on-one with Counago to just about keep Norwich in the game.

Counago was off target again with another chance two minutes later as Ipswich tried to kill the game off.

Croft suffered an injury in the last minute after a clash of heads with Quinn and he had to be replaced by Gibbs.

Final score: Ipswich Town 2, Norwich City 1


t Ipswich Town: Bywater, Simpson, Bruce, De Vos, Wright, Haynes, Miller, Garvan, Quinn, Counago, Kuqi. Subs: Colgan, Sito Castro, Walters, Sumulikoski, Rhodes.

t Norwich City: Marshall, Otsemobor, Doherty, Pearce, Bertrand, Cureton, Russell, Pattison, Huckerby, Dublin, Evans. Subs: Gilks, Shackell, Camara, Gibbs, Croft.

Referee: Michael Jones (Cheshire)

Attendance: 29,656

t Norwich man-of-the-match: David Marshall.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus