In-form Canaries starlet would be most wanted among Town supporters
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
James Maddison is the player Ipswich Town fans would most like to poach from Norwich City, if they could take their pick from Daniel Farke’s squad.
We asked fans of both Town and City to do the unthinkable and take a considered look at the enemy’s players to see if any players could cross the divide.
After narrowing it down to a shortlist, we put it to a poll and it was 20-year-old midfielder Maddison who topped the vote among Blues fans with 42pc, at the time of writing.
That is perhaps not surprising given the huge profile boost the talented youngster has enjoyed recently, having scored three goals in games so far this season.
The former Coventry City man won the Championship goal of the month award after spectacular strikes in the recent wins at Middlesbrough and Reading, with the Boro strike taking the gong. He was also nominated for the division’s player of the month award and voted player of the month among City fans.
You may also want to watch:
That helped Maddison to beat off competition from Canaries colleagues Nelson Oliveira (26 per cent) and Josh Murphy (19pc) in our poll, which also featured defenders Timm Klose (7pc) and Ivo Pinto (6pc).
The result was similarly emphatic among Norwich supporters, who picked experienced forward David McGoldrick as the player they would take from the Tractor Boys.
- 1 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 2 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 3 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 4 'I was knocked for six' - Krul reveals difficulties of his Covid-19 recovery
- 5 City Q&A: Striker light - Your questions answered
- 6 Six things you might have missed following Norwich City's FA Cup exit at Barnsley
- 7 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 9 Di Cunningham: Why City fans are in a class of their own
- 10 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
Six goals in 11 games has been the return from the 29-year-old finding full fitness, after seeing his Town career blighted by injury problems.
Crossing the divide: Did these players represent Norwich or Ipswich more?
The tricky attacker’s abilities have seen him playing alongside City star Wes Hoolahan for the Republic of Ireland at times, scoring 43 goals in 146 games in just over four seasons in Suffolk.
McGoldrick was ahead of forwards Martyn Waghorn (22pc) and Joe Garner (14pc), who were both signed from Rangers this summer, in the voting.
Goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski was next on 16pc and Danish defender Jonas Knudsen, who scored both of Ipswich’s goals in last season’s 1-1 draws, was fifth with 11pc of the vote.
It’s all just a bit of fun ahead of Sunday’s clash at Portman Road of course, although McGoldrick is out of contract at the end of the season, should City fancy some revenge for the Andy Marshall saga...