McCarthy hints at international call-up for Adam Idah after FA Cup hat-trick
- Credit: Michael Sedgwick/Focus Images Ltd
Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy has hinted at a senior national team call-up for Norwich City striker Adam Idah after his hat-trick against Preston North End in the FA Cup.
Idah's three-goal haul helped City progress from the third round of the competition for the first time in seven years.
It was the 18-year-olds second appearance of the season, with the first coming in the Canaries defeat to Crawley Town in the Carabao Cup last August.
Idah has been capped at every international youth level, and has 11 U21 appearances to his name.
Now, McCarthy has suggested Idah's performance on Saturday may have done enough to earn him a full international call-up.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking to City supporter Jake Humphrey on BT Sport, the ex-Ipswich Town boss responded to Idah's performance on air.
"He might have got himself one, never mind about you getting him one," McCarthy told Humphrey, who has been asking for Idah to recieve a call-up.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v Norwich City - McLean tests positive for Covid-19
- 4 Farke's words of advice for Soto
- 5 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe
- 6 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 7 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 8 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 9 February fixture changes for Canaries
- 10 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
"He's scored a hat-trick today and he's playing in a real competitive game. Not an U21s, not an U23s but an FA Cup tie against a good Preston team."