McCarthy hints at international call-up for Adam Idah after FA Cup hat-trick
- Credit: Michael Sedgwick/Focus Images Ltd
Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy has hinted at a senior national team call-up for Norwich City striker Adam Idah after his hat-trick against Preston North End in the FA Cup.
Idah's three-goal haul helped City progress from the third round of the competition for the first time in seven years.
It was the 18-year-olds second appearance of the season, with the first coming in the Canaries defeat to Crawley Town in the Carabao Cup last August.
Idah has been capped at every international youth level, and has 11 U21 appearances to his name.
Now, McCarthy has suggested Idah's performance on Saturday may have done enough to earn him a full international call-up.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking to City supporter Jake Humphrey on BT Sport, the ex-Ipswich Town boss responded to Idah's performance on air.
"He might have got himself one, never mind about you getting him one," McCarthy told Humphrey, who has been asking for Idah to recieve a call-up.
- 1 'I wanted to bring Norwich back' - Emi reveals why he stayed at City
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: City v Bournemouth - Emi fit, Rupp out for the season
- 3 Frankfurt speculation just the start of uncertain period for City boss
- 4 Farke's personal message to City fans
- 5 City boss has found his job 'even harder' than title-winning season
- 6 Iwan Roberts: My one regret over Canaries' 2004 promotion
- 7 'Bring it on', says Bournemouth boss
- 8 Former City coach leaves England U21 post
- 9 City hungry to be record breakers, insists Krul
- 10 Ian Clarke: Seven reasons why Norwich City will survive in top flight
"He's scored a hat-trick today and he's playing in a real competitive game. Not an U21s, not an U23s but an FA Cup tie against a good Preston team."