Norwich City transfer rumours: Winger linked with City return
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Jacob Murphy has been linked with a return to Norwich City - with the Canaries reportedly amongst a host of clubs vying to sign the winger on loan.
The 25-year-old left Carrow Road to join Newcastle United in a deal believed to be in excess of £10million in 2017. The winger was part of the Canaries FA Youth Cup winning squad managed by Neil Adams in 2013.
Murphy has only made 41 appearances since moving to St James Park and the Northern Echo are reporting that the Magpies have told the speedster he can leave on loan this summer as Steve Bruce looks to streamline his squad.
In 2017, Murphy had a breakthrough year with City. He made 37 league appearances - netting on eight occasions.
The Newcastle hierarchy would ideally want to recoup a sizeable amount of the fee they shelled out on Murphy - but he has one-year remaining on his contract and spent last season on loan with Sheffield Wednesday.
You may also want to watch:
Middlesbrough and Brentford are also keen on adding Murphy to their squad - with Neil Warnock hoping to bolster his attacking options after former City loanee Patrick Roberts returned to Manchester City.
The Bees are considering their options carefully as they prepare to be bombarded with offers for their talented attacking options, with Ollie Watkins and Said Benrahma the subjects of intense speculation.
- 1 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 2 City transfer rumours: West Ham show interest in £30m rated Aarons
- 3 Webber will continue to be 'brutally honest' at City
- 4 No West Ham contact for Aarons; Drmic wage hike unlikely
- 5 David Freezer: Emotions bubbling for City as Watford tee up a proper title race
- 6 Former City boss to leave post at the end of the season
- 7 QPR forced to deny manager is leaving ahead of City clash
- 8 City hot-shot out to prove point in Premier League, claims ex-Canary
- 9 'We want to top this season off properly' - Krul's message to fans
- 10 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
City have already added attacking midfielders Przemyslaw Placheta and Danel Sinani to their ranks and are prioritising other areas of their squad.
Both Emi Buendia and Todd Cantwell have been linked with moves away from Carrow Road, but City aren’t looking to add another wide player to their squad at present.
Burnley defender Ben Gibson remains their top centre-back target as they plot their Championship assault. The Canaries are also looking to add to their striking ranks prior to the end of the window.
Boro would be an attractive option for the winger given his north east base, but whether Warnock’s side have the financial muscle to bring Murphy to the Riverside Stadium remains to be seen.