Norwich City transfer rumours: Winger linked with City return
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Jacob Murphy has been linked with a return to Norwich City - with the Canaries reportedly amongst a host of clubs vying to sign the winger on loan.
The 25-year-old left Carrow Road to join Newcastle United in a deal believed to be in excess of £10million in 2017. The winger was part of the Canaries FA Youth Cup winning squad managed by Neil Adams in 2013.
Murphy has only made 41 appearances since moving to St James Park and the Northern Echo are reporting that the Magpies have told the speedster he can leave on loan this summer as Steve Bruce looks to streamline his squad.
In 2017, Murphy had a breakthrough year with City. He made 37 league appearances - netting on eight occasions.
The Newcastle hierarchy would ideally want to recoup a sizeable amount of the fee they shelled out on Murphy - but he has one-year remaining on his contract and spent last season on loan with Sheffield Wednesday.
You may also want to watch:
Middlesbrough and Brentford are also keen on adding Murphy to their squad - with Neil Warnock hoping to bolster his attacking options after former City loanee Patrick Roberts returned to Manchester City.
The Bees are considering their options carefully as they prepare to be bombarded with offers for their talented attacking options, with Ollie Watkins and Said Benrahma the subjects of intense speculation.
- 1 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 3 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 4 'Three Lungs' back in business
- 5 Solskjaer education and goalkeeping genetics pave way for City target Nyland
- 6 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 7 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 8 Drmic's Euro mission to seal City exit
- 9 Norwich loan has 'ticked every box' for Ben Gibson
- 10 City hold talks with Nyland
City have already added attacking midfielders Przemyslaw Placheta and Danel Sinani to their ranks and are prioritising other areas of their squad.
Both Emi Buendia and Todd Cantwell have been linked with moves away from Carrow Road, but City aren’t looking to add another wide player to their squad at present.
Burnley defender Ben Gibson remains their top centre-back target as they plot their Championship assault. The Canaries are also looking to add to their striking ranks prior to the end of the window.
Boro would be an attractive option for the winger given his north east base, but whether Warnock’s side have the financial muscle to bring Murphy to the Riverside Stadium remains to be seen.