James Maddison’s cracker for Norwich City is the pick of the bunch
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City midfielder James Maddison is the Sky Bet Championship Goal of the Month winner for September.
Maddison’s effort against Middlesbrough received 53pc of the public vote.
Collecting a slipped Marley Watkins pass, Maddison knew instantly what to do – a cushioned touch was followed by a classy, arcing 25-yarder into the top corner.
Maddison said: “Obviously it was a nice strike and it was a winning strike which made it extra special and won us the three points. To get the recognition from the fans who thought the goal was the best in the month, sometimes you have to step back and give yourself a pat on the back. The ball got played down the line and Marley Watkins didn’t give it up as he never does and nicked the ball off the defender and played it to me. I found myself in a bit of space about 25-yards out, took a touch and saw the far corner and managed to curl it in the top corner which was a special feeling.”
Maddison beat off competition from Wolves’ Diogo Jota and Nottingham Forest’s Mustapha Carayol.
Lead Sky Bet EFL Goal of the Month judge and Sky Sports Pundit Don Goodman said: “To see such clinical finishing from outside of the box from someone so young shows just how much confidence James is playing with at the moment. It’s fair to say that his free kick away at Reading would have had a chance of winning but this goal just about edged it.
You may also want to watch:
“The only thought in his mind when he receives the ball is to get the ball out of his feet and get a pure strike away with swerve and dip. The fact that it went in exactly where he meant it to, made it a fantastic goal.”
- 1 Candid Cantwell opens up on struggles during 'whirlwind' summer
- 2 Dowell pledge from City boss
- 3 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
- 4 Lee Payne: Bruce has got it wrong over Norwich City and Premier League
- 5 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
- 6 City defender likened to a 'young Rio Ferdinand'
- 7 Ex-City star Murphy boosts hopes of new deal
- 8 Police interviews and faulty planes - the inside track on Onel's Cuba bow
- 9 Former City loanee set for new deal at Borussia Dortmund
- 10 City Q&A: One down. One to go