Jarvis posts classy farewell message following confirmation of City exit
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Matt Jarvis feels ‘absolutely gutted’ that his time at Norwich City was ruined by injury, following confirmation that his contract will not be renewed this summer.
The one-cap England international, who celebrates his 33rd birthday today, was among the players the Canaries confirmed will be leaving this summer when they announced their annual retained and released list on Tuesday.
The winger is alongside Steven Naismith and Yanic Wildschut as the high-profile players whose team at the club has come to an end, although all were expected as they have spent time away from the club on loan.
Following the announcement Jarvis took to his Instagram account to say farewell, after almost four years at City.
"Am absolutely gutted that my time at Norwich City was plagued by injury, but want to wish the club all the success for the future," he wrote.
You may also want to watch:
"Would like to thank all the staff, players and you fans for the special memories I have!"
The former Wolves and Gillingham attacker was initially signed on loan from West Ham in September 2015 and made a bright start, scoring against Bournemouth in a 3-1 Premier League win at Carrow Road, but injured his knee after seven games.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 5 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 6 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 7 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 8 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 9 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 10 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
Then manager Alex Neil had seen enough to persuade the Canaries to pay a reported £2.5million in January 2016 and a further 14 games followed but Neil's team slumped to relegation.
A 3-0 loss at Everton in May 2016 proved to be Jarvis' final appearance due to two seasons of knee and ankle problems, eventually returning to U23 action in December of last year and earning a loan move to Walsall in January.
Nine appearances in League One followed before another ankle injury, leaving Jarvis as a free agent this summer after a total of two goals in 21 games for Norwich.