Canaries Debate: Should Norwich City look to bring back Jordan Rhodes this January?
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Jordan Rhodes’ hat-trick for Sheffield Wednesday at the weekend caught the attentions of many Norwich City fans, with some eager to see the striker return to Carrow Road this January.
Wednesday beat Nottingham Forest 4-0 on Saturday, with the ex-City loanee completing a perfect hat-trick inside 39 minutes on only his second league start of the season.
Rhodes became a popular figure during his loan stint with the Canaries last season, scoring six goals in the Championship as City went onto win the title.
He was recruited along with Teemu Pukki as the Canaries sought to fill the goal-scoring void left by James Maddison and Josh Murphy, but the Finn's form saw Rhodes occupy more of an understudy role. His last goal for City came against West Bromwich Albion last January, when he scored a crucial equaliser at the Hawthorns.
His contribution last season saw numerous supporters desperate for the ex-Ipswich Town striker to return to Norfolk on a permanent basis, but Wednesday stood firm to hold onto their man. With Josip Drmic injured until the New Year, Rhodes could provide further competition for Pukki as well as adding depth to City's frontline.
You may also want to watch:
When quizzed on Rhodes in the summer, City boss Daniel Farke said: "Generally, I made it clear I like Jordan Rhodes. He was a quite important player for us even though he didn't play each and every minute.
"He is a top class player with a top class attitude but I respect the contract situation. He is a player of Sheffield Wednesday. I wouldn't expect someone from Sheffield Wednesday to speak about our players and so I won't comment on this.
- 1 'I wanted to bring Norwich back' - Emi reveals why he stayed at City
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: City v Bournemouth - Emi fit, Rupp out for the season
- 3 Frankfurt speculation just the start of uncertain period for City boss
- 4 Farke's personal message to City fans
- 5 Iwan Roberts: My one regret over Canaries' 2004 promotion
- 6 City boss has found his job 'even harder' than title-winning season
- 7 Former City coach leaves England U21 post
- 8 'Bring it on', says Bournemouth boss
- 9 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 10 'We want to correct what happened' - City ace on top-flight aims
"You know we like Jordan and we were thankful he could help us but he is under contract. It is not my job to speak about this topic."
- Would you like to see Jordan Rhodes return to the club? Vote in the poll above