Joy and pain for Gallacher
Norwich City Reserves 2, Portsmouth Reserves 3: Paul Gallacher experienced the highs and lows of being a goalkeeper as Norwich City Reserves slipped to an unfortunate defeat at Carrow Road last night.
Norwich City Reserves 2, Portsmouth Reserves 3
Paul Gallacher experienced the highs and lows of being a goalkeeper as Norwich City Reserves slipped to an unfortunate defeat at Carrow Road last night.
The Scottish international was in excellent form for much of the game, and made one world-class stop just after the interval to deny Marc Wilson.
But minutes later he allowed a speculative 35-yard effort from the same player to slip through his grasp - and was then at fault again near the end as Pompey grabbed a winner they scarcely deserved.
You may also want to watch:
A strong looking City side gave a good account of themselves on a miserable night, with the old youth team partnership of Ryan Jarvis and Ian Henderson leading the way.
And had the finishing been of a higher standard in the second half they would certainly have taken taken all three points from a hugely enjoyable Premiership Reserve League fixture.
- 1 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 2 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: City v Watford - Hanley, Pukki, Cantwell injury doubts
- 4 'I am really happy here' - City star Buendia not worried about speculation
- 5 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 6 'Good riddance' - Norwich fans react to European Super League plans
- 7 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
- 8 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 9 Six things you might have missed after City's promotion party
- 10 'I rate him. He's a fantastic player' - Farke open to Skipp return
The Canaries suffered a blow after just 13 minutes when Simon Charlton limped off with what looked like a problem with his left knee. But they recovered from that setback by taking the lead midway through the first half when Jarvis latched on to an excellent through ball from Henderson and the jinked his way around keeper Andres Guatelli before stroking the ball into an unguarded net.
Pompey equalised 10 minutes later when Zambian international Collins Mbesuma converted from close range and moved in front for the first time after Gallacher's costly error.
It was excitement all the way after that, with the Canaries piling forward, and after missing several good chances they eventually got back on level terms in the 75th minute when Jarvis nodded the ball on into the path of Henderson who converted in emphatic fashion.
You fancied Norwich would go on and win it then, but within a couple of minutes Portsmouth were back in front. Gallacher did well to keep out a header from Giovanni Torres but he then spoilt the good work by letting the ball spin from his grasp to hand the young substitute a second chance which he gleefully took.
t Norwich Res: Gallacher, Colin, Charlton (Bexfield 13), Rossi Jarvis, Shackell (Howlett 45), Gusterson, Fisk, Henderson, Ryan Jarvis, Etuhu, Eagle (Smart 45), Subs not used: Martin, Arnold.
t Portsmouth Res: Guatelli, Eyles, Donaghey, Bye, Day, Pearce, Swayne (Torres 67), Wilson, Mbesuma, Mornar (McClorry-Cuthbertson 45), Horsted (Hartman 88).