Kelly’s strike earns draw
John Landamore Coventry City 1, Norwich City 1: For the third consecutive game, City's Academy side had their share of the points after coming from a goal behind against Coventry City at Colney on Saturday.
FA Premier Academy U18 League
Coventry City 1, Norwich City 1
For the third consecutive game, City's Academy side had their share of the points after coming from a goal behind against Coventry City at Colney this afternoon. Ricky Martin had Declan Rudd back in the starting line-up after his latest England call-up in Israel last week while there were no less than four schoolboys in the starting line-up in the shape of Sam Havergham, Josh Dawkin, Tom Adeyemi, and David Stephens. City made a bright start with Dawkin hitting the side netting after being put clear by Damian Lathrope. Moments later it was Lathrope who saw a shot tipped over the crossbar by Sky Blue's keeper Neil Collett. At the other end Adam Walker failed to get his shot on target from what was a good position before the action quickly returned to the Coventry goalmouth with Danny Kelly heading over from a corner. Somewhat against the run of play, Coventry almost took the lead when Walker raced clear of the City's defence but Rudd made a fine save to deny the Coventry striker. With 43 minutes on the clock the visitors took the lead when they were rewarded a hotly disputed penalty after Danny Kelly fouled his man although it did appear the incident happened somewhat outside the area. Nevertheless referee Mr Bielby pointed to the spot where MATTHEW WEST crashed the ball past Rudd.
You may also want to watch:
Into the second half and Jordan Dowdican saw a shot go just over the bar while after coming on to replace Lathrope, Ross Kelly saw his shot blocked. Nick Davey came on to make his first appearance after recovering from a broken bone in his foot and with his first touch of the game, he sent a header into the arms of Collett. With 84 minutes on the clock, City finally got the goal their play so richly deserved when Tom Adeyemi sent in a cross that ROSS KELLY finished from close range.
t Norwich City: Rudd, Cooper, Havergham, Lathrope (Smith 60), McLean, D Kelly, Adeyemi, Stephens, Dowdican (Davey 77), Daley, Dawkin (R Kelly 60). Subs not used: Richardson.
- 1 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 2 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 4 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 5 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 6 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 7 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 8 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 9 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 10 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
t Coventry City: Collett, Fraser, Griffiths, Hilbreth (Ogelbey 60), Francis, Cameron, Cain, Walker, West (Thomas 78), Jeffers, Marshall. Subs not used: Burgess, Quirke and Hollist.
Norwich City Man of the Match: Paul McLean.
t It was also honours even for the Academy and the Under-16 side in Ian Thornton's team who battled out a four-four draw against Coventry City. The Canaries scorers being Kenny Reeves 2, Joe Clark and under-14 striker Michael Clunnan.