Kelly treble fires City youngsters
John Landamore Norwich City U18s 5, Charlton U18s 1: Norwich City's twin strike partnership of Danny Kelly and Kris Renton were in sensational form at Colney over the weekend when between them they put five past Charlton, with Kelly knocking in a hat-trick.
Norwich City Academy 5, Charlton Academy 1
Norwich City's twin strike partnership of Danny Kelly and Kris Renton were in sensational form at Colney over the weekend when between them they put five past Charlton, with Kelly knocking in a hat-trick.
With David Stephens away on Welsh international duty, Sam Habergham was drafted into a central defensive role alongside Dario Dumic, and Habergham was quickly called into action making an important tackle as the visitors started brightly.
You may also want to watch:
It wasn't long, however, before City got into their stride, with Renton going close on a couple of occasions.
With 20 minutes on the clock, City opened their account when Charlton keeper Harry Lee rushed out of his area, and when the ball broke loose to Renton 25 yards out, he stroked it into an empty net.
- 1 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 2 Paddy Davitt verdict: Wazza and City's great leap forward
- 3 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 4 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
- 5 'I don't want the season to end' - City ace hitting top form
- 6 'We showed Norwich too much respect' - Rooney on Rams' reverse
- 7 Six things you might have missed after City's win at Derby
- 8 Ex-City star Murphy boosts hopes of new deal
- 9 Former City loanee set for new deal at Borussia Dortmund
- 10 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Derby County win
Three minutes later, Norwich extended their lead with Renton turning provider as his cross was met by Kelly, who picked his spot to score.
Charlton hit back five minutes later when they were awarded a penalty. Although City keeper Jed Steer dived the right way, Alex Stavrinov put the ball beyond his reach.
Renton made his presence felt as he headed the ball down for Dumic, whose shot crashed into the side netting.
Lee had to be alert to tip a Tom Adeyemi cross over the bar, but on 37 minutes, he was powerless to stop the Canaries extending their lead when Renton crashed a shot in off the underside of the bar.
On 52 minutes, Kelly scored his second and City's fourth when from a corner, he side-footed the ball home. Just five minutes later, Kelly completed his hat-trick when he seized on a loose ball after Josh Dawkin had seen his initial effort blocked.
Having scored his hat-trick, Kelly was replaced by Kenny Reeves, whose first touch saw him have a good shot saved by Lee.
Norwich City: Steer, Smith (Clarke, 80 minutes), Brindley, Adeyemi, Dumic, Habergham, Daley (Omoregie, 65 minutes), Lathrope, Renton, Kelly (Reeves, 60 minutes), Dawkin. Substitutes not used: Francomb, Grieveson.