Transfer targets, loan attraction – City scouting chief on Premier League task
- Credit: Tony Thrussell
Norwich City will aim to repeat their Championship trick in the Premier League – and the man that has helped lead their stunning recent transfer recruitment is up for the challenge.
Canaries head of recruitment Kieran Scott and his team ensured head coach Daniel Farke had the tools at his disposal to produce a stunning second tier campaign - on a fraction of their rivals' budgets.
The financial comparisons in the Premier League will be more stark, but Scott believes part of City's top-flight preparations are already there for all to see.
"We're not all of a sudden going to be rich but we're going to have slightly more money than we did last season, so we've just got to find the players on the list that are slightly above where we were before - and then we've got to rely on the coaching staff doing what they've done with the players this year, and improve them 10-fold - no pressure guys; you've got to do it again!" smiled Scott.
"I take a lot of heart in what we did last season. I look at the players we signed and I don't think anyone could say they aren't potential Premier League players.
You may also want to watch:
"We just need to do the same again, work hard and find the players that we found last season. I'm pretty confident that a lot of our squad could play in the Premier League; players that we've brought to the club.
"So we just need to keep following that, because we're not all of a sudden going to take £20m and go buy that player because it isn't there. It's not going to happen.
- 1 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 5 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 6 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
- 7 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 8 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 9 Operation Bounce Back: The story of City's promotion success
- 10 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
"We've just got to do what we did last season, do it again - and I'm confident we're doing that."
As for what positions and how many players City are working on bringing in, the clues are already out there as far as Scott is concerned - as well as an opportunity to work with some of the Premier League's big boys.
"It's hard to put numbers on it to be honest, because you don't quite know what's going to come your way," said Scott.
"I think we've got an idea of what we would like but then we also don't know what could happen, what could come.
"One thing I am aware of, the big clubs really like Norwich and how we play. So there might be opportunities for loans to come our way that might not have been, which you wouldn't say no to because it might be one of their exceptionally high-level youngsters.
"So I see additions, but I don't see sea changes.
"I'll be honest, I have read enough articles to suggest everyone is on the same page in terms of positions we would be looking at. I think we've also got to be looking to strengthen where we can anywhere - but we do have some key areas that we want to strengthen."
- For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Michael Bailey on the following channels…