King's Lynn 0, Nantwich Town 3

Lynn slumped to a first home Unibond Premier Division defeat of the season since the opening day at The Walks. Carl Heggs' men could have few complaints against a streetwise Nantwich outfit who bossed proceedings after a bright start from the hosts.


King's Lynn 0, Nantwich 3

Lynn slumped to a first home Unibond Premier Division defeat of the season since the opening day at The Walks this afternoon.

Ashley Carter pounced on indecision between Linnets' stopper Danny Gay and Lathanial Rowe-Turner to nudge Town ahead before the break.

Nantwich's powerful frontman Matt Rhead then plundered two goals inside three minutes around the hour mark just seconds after Lynn debutant Carl Palmer had cracked the crossbar at the other end.

Carl Heggs' men could have few complaints against a streetwise Nantwich outfit who bossed proceedings after a bright start from the hosts.

Most Read

Lynn handed debuts to Palmer and Peterborough loan signing Kwesi Appiah. Heggs himself made way after scoring in the midweek Hucknall win with Palmer a straight swap for the injured Callum Lloyd.

Owen Story's lung bursting run down the right ended with Chris Flynn's crude clip from behind inside the opening seconds. Ryan Beswick's curled free kick was headed clear but the wide player's looping close range header dipped just over after Danny Spencer helped it back in.

Anthony Robinson was ruled offside by a late assistant's flag from Beswick's slide rule pass with Lynn's top scorer ready to test Town stopper Lee Jones.

Jones then denied Appiah a debut goal with a fine point blank save from the Peterborough loanee's close range header as Beswick continued to carve Nantwich open in the early sparring.

Mahmood's right footer from the edge of the box had Gay momentarily worried as it rolled the wrong side on 12 minutes.

Beswick wastefully scuffed at Jones after Palmer freed the overlapping wide man from Appiah's cute reverse ball with Lynn still carrying the greater menace.

Rhead's flick header flew wide with Gay rooted to the spot after Lynn failed to deal with Jake Sedgemore's inswinging free kick.

Robinson picked out Appiah with a perfect drilled ball but Charlie Reeves threw himself in front of Appiah's right foot volley with Lynn's new look strike force already on the same wavelength.

Mahmood led a swift counter but struck Gay's side netting from an acute angle with Nantwich now starting to show more attacking adventure midway through the half.

Story earned the first caution of the match for a lunging challenge on marker Flynn. Ashley picked out Nantwich man mountain Rhead but Spencer did enough to force a weak header at Gay.

Magunda's out ball freed Appiah but Robinson over run his cut back as Lynn tried to pick up the early pace again in the closing stages.

The elusive Mahmood turned inside Spencer but Gay clutched his long range strike but from his cross seconds later Ashley Carter pounced to nip in between Gay and Rowe-Turner to head Nantwich in front from six yards out via Gay's left hand upright.

Appiah dragged a 20 yarder at Jones following a sharp counter from Beswick and Robinson as Lynn looked to reach the break on level terms.

Sedgemore's 25 yard free kick was a yard over on the restart after Rowe-Turner was penalised for climbing on Rhead. Nantwich's influential midfielder's strike on the turn rolled through to Gay with Lynn still second best.

Bobby Aisien's brilliant point blank goal line clearance denied Rhead after Mahmood skipped around the advancing Gay - Nantwich's number nine smashing his strike at Aisien's chest and over.

Heggs replaced Appiah on 53 minutes in a bid to pep up his lethargic side. Sedgemore scythed down Palmer a yard outside the Nantwich penalty box after Story had freed the midfielder. Beswick's driven ball struck Dave Whittaker at the near post. Palmer stumbled through with Heggs making a nuisance of himself but lifted a right footer against Jones' bar from eight yards.

Rhead struck twice inside three minutes to puncture Lynn's mini fightback - swivelling onto Mahmood's cutback to sidefoot from eight yards before climbing highest at the back post to despatch Mahmood's corner.

Magunda's looping far post header dropped behind from Spencer's free kick with Lynn trying to clear their heads.

Heggs' flashing near post header flew at Jones after Palmer worked some space down the right hand side.

Skipper Andy Boyce denied former Crewe favourite Rodney Jack a fourth with a sliding goal line clearance after the pacy substitute won a leg race with Gay.

Robinson's sidefooter dribbled wide from three yards from Story's centre to sum up Lynn's afternoon in the final seconds.

King's Lynn: Gay, Aisien (Smith 81), Spencer, Palmer, Rowe-Turner, Boyce, Story, Magunda, Appiah (Heggs 53), Robinson, Beswick. Subs (not used): Smedley, Webb, McAnally.

Bookings: Story, Spencer

Nantwich: Jones, Reeves (Aaron Carter 61), Flynn (Whittaker 45), Sutton, Tinson, Sedgemore, Mahmood, Blackhurst, Rhead (Jack 67), Lennon, Ashley Carter. Sub (not used): Chapman.

Bookings: Segdemore, Jack

Goals: Ashley Carter (35), Rhead (58, 61)

Stoppage time: 1 min / 3 mins

Referee: S Hutchinson (Notts)

Attendance: 825