King's Lynn 1, Worksop Town 1

An ugly 20-man melee marred Lynn’s Unibond Premier Division clash at The Walks. Linnets striker Anthony Robinson and Worksop defender Tom Jones were both red carded

King's Lynn 1, Worksop 1

An ugly 20-man melee marred Lynn's Unibond Premier Division clash at The Walks.

Linnets striker Anthony Robinson and Worksop defender Tom Jones were both red carded after the visitors had reacted angrily to Robinson's attempted challenge on Yellows' goalkeeper Jon Kennedy in the closing stages of the first half.

Referee Stretton needed to pull the Lynn striker away for his own protection from an incensed pack of Worksop players. Both assistants entered the field of play to help restore order but following a lengthy mid pitch inquest both sides were eventually reduced to ten men.

Only grounded keeper Kennedy and his Lynn counterpart Jason White were absent from the ensuing aftermath - Kennedy requiring treatment before continuing.

Linnets' boss Carl Heggs pleaded his striker's innocence with the official as he left the field at half time, clearly feeling Robinson had every right to challenge the grounded keeper.

Most Read

But Heggs himself was then sent to the stands after the break for another altercation with the referee in a spicy encounter that also saw composed young Lynn back- up keeper Ally McAnally make his debut at half time for the injured White. Heggs' later hinted the former Mansfield man had suffered a suspected broken hand.

Robinson is now poised to miss three games after his straight red for violent conduct after the former Redditch frontman notched twice on his debut in the weekend romp at Burscough.

Gareth Sheldon's second sublime free kick in four days cancelled out Worksop wide man Chris Adam's well worked opener. Lynn bossed possession but failed to convert their territorial dominance - Ryan Beswick blazing the best chance wide in the second half with only Kennedy to beat.

Heggs' new defensive signing Jason Smedley was ineligible after only signing on Monday from Hucknall. Jordan Smith was suspended and assistant player/boss Andy Johnson omitted as Heggs included McAnally and young striker Nick Davey on the bench.

Robinson had the first sighter after Beswick's diagonal ball dropped into his path but the bustling striker fired over. Andy Boyce then headed over under pressure in a bright start from the hosts but Worksop rocked Lynn with Adam's slick counter. Playmaker Alex Callery picked out Adam who made no mistake from inside the six yard box.

Callum Lloyd tried his luck with a speculative strike from the edge of the box but Worksop carried a constant menace on the counter with the pace of Adam and Callery down the flanks.

Sheldon dusted himself off after being manhandled 25 yards out to rifle a right footer past Kennedy for his third of the season.

White came off second best in an aerial duel with his namesake Andy White - Zak Martin bailing the keeper out with a goal line clearance. White carried on initially after treatment.

Robinson's stiff challenge on Kennedy produced fireworks on the cusp of half time after the Worksop stopper came out to claim Beswick's inswinger.

Lynn's number ten was followed down the tunnel by Jones who clearly aimed a punch at the Linnets' striker as tempers raged. Beswick was at the hub of Lynn's most incisive work on the restart - racing through on 61 minutes but wastefully dragging his shot wide.

Heggs introduced ex-Norwich City academy prospect Davey for his senior debut and the blond frontman lifted a sharp half chance over in the closing stages as Lynn looked to land a decisive late blow.

King's Lynn: White (McAnally 45), Magunda, Martin (Green 70), Birley, Boyce, Murray, Story, Lloyd, Sheldon, Robinson, Beswick (Davey 79). Subs (not used): Webb, McAughtrie. Bookings: Magunda, Murray. Sending off: Robinson. Goal: Sheldon (34)

Worksop: Kennedy, Asher, Davies, Galloway (Tomlinson 64), Jones, Glarvey, Callery, Anson, White (Glass 70), Sanasay (Bowler 45), Adam. Subs not used: Townsend, Bacon. Bookings: Tomlinson, Glarvey. Sending off: Jones. Goal: Adam (13)

Referee: GS Stretton

Attendance: 795