King’s Lynn 3, Eastbourne 1

King's Lynn continued their run of good form when they beat Conference South leaders Eastbourne Borough in the third qualifying round of the FA Trophy.

King's Lynn continued their run of good form when they beat Conference South leaders Eastbourne Borough in the third qualifying round of the FA Trophy.

The sides had met only once before some four years ago when Lynn won 2-0 at The Walks as Borough achieved promotion. Today's game was the Linnet's 80th in this competition.

Lynn were without four senior players who were on the injury list namely Charlie Defty, Craig Fleming, Phil Mulryne and Sean Carey whilst Stephen Melton had been hoping to have a run out with the Reserves. On a positive note John Turner came through the game with Hitchin on Tuesday as did Joe Francis and both were available for selection.

An early blow for the Linnets prior to the kick-off was an injury in the warm-up to Ben Chapman, which necessitated him to be replaced by Greg Lake at left back.

You may also want to watch:

Lynn won the toss and elected to attack the Tennyson Road end. An early free-kick, taken by Francis, caused Lovett to head hurriedly back to goalkeeper Hook. Lynn had made a positive start with Frew having two early attempts on goal.

Eastbourne's top-scorer Ramsey tested Howie on 10 minutes with a shot on the turn but the goalkeeper made a confident save.

Most Read

After Crane was adjudged to have fouled Tate, Jenkins took the kick to the back post where Ramsey fired into the side netting.

On 20 minutes a pass from West was intercepted by Matthew Crabb whose cross into the box caused Warren to be at full stretch to deny Ramsey as the Boro now came more into the game.

In the 21st minute a dreadful back pass from Warren was intercepted by Ramsey who easily beat Howie to give Boro the lead, which they almost doubled a minute later when Ramsey's header from a corner was kicked off the line by Fisk.

Lovett at the other end then tested Howie who again saved well turning the ball for a corner this after a good build up by the Boro' forwards who were beginning to stretch the Lynn defence.

For Lynn Camm found Frew on the right wing and his driven cross was turned behind for a corner but again the flag kick came to nothing.

On 40 minutes Crane, following a foul on Matthew Crabb, was the first player to find his way into referee Maton's notebook.

Lynn equalised on 43 minutes, somewhat against the run of play, when after Jack Defty caused chaos in the visitors' defence. The ball broke to Fisk who found the back of the net from close range.

There were no changes to the Lynn line up as they came out for the second half. And as in the first Lynn again made a positive start.

Frew was first to show making a good run down the right feeding Francis whose effort was then charged down.

Jack Defty picking up a loose ball who played a fine diagonal pass to Frew who tried a delicate chip which was only inches over the bar.

Greg Lake attempted to put Danny Bloomfield away with a long ball but a Boro defender was just able to put the ball into touch.

Next it was Defty's turn to send Bloomfield away but Lynn's top scorer was just unable to force the ball past Hook and a great chance had gone as the keeper turned the effort for a corner. The game was now opening out with play going from end to end.

On 68 minutes Lynn made a substitution with John Turner replacing Danny Bloomfield.

A fast break down the Lynn right saw Hook have to be alert and race from his goal to clear the danger.

Next it was Mark Camm who had a chance of a shot but the midfielder's effort curled well wide.

Lynn's pressure was giving the visitors' defence a torrid time and they were often hard pressed to clear their lines. Lynn continuing to force the pace saw a Francis shot charged away for a corner which was only half cleared for West to cross the ball back in for John Turner to rise to head a great goal on 74 minutes. Another good cross from the right this time saw Francis head wide. With quarter of an hour left Eastbourne made their final throw of the dice by making a double substitution, Tate and Crabb being replaced by Nathan Crabb and Wilde.

Immediately Howie was called upon to make a good stop. Lynn continued to press and from a free kick taken by Francis 25 yards from goal was spilled by Hook for a corner as Fisk raced in to attempt to apply a final touch from the flag kick Jack Defty headed just over as Lynn pressed for a third and clinching goal. On 80 minutes Francis was cautioned for a late tackle on Harding.

So far in this half little had been seen of the visitors' attack. With five minutes left Turner almost scored as he threaded a low shot through the defence only for Hook to make a fingertip save. As time ran out Defty found Frew with a superb pass and as the winger's shot was saved referee Maton awarded King's Lynn a penalty kick for a foul on the striker. Warren easily beat Hook from the spot to take Lynn through to the first round proper.

The second half had been a superb exhibition by the Linnets and they were well worthy of their triumph over the Conference South League leaders who had only tasted defeat once previously this season. It was the best result for Keith Webb during his term of office to date.

t King's Lynn: Howie, West, Chapman, Warren, Crane, Camm, Frew, Fisk, J Defty, Bloomfield, Francis. Subs: Turner, Nolan, Harvey, Lake, Murray.

t Eastbourne Borough: Hook, Baker, Jenkins, Budd, Austin, Lovett, Harding, Armstrong, Ramsay, Tait, M Crabb. Subs: N Crabb, Lightwood, Atkin, Ballard, Wilde.

t Referee: Mr A Maton (Oadby, Leicestershire)

t Attendance: 951

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus