King's Lynn FC timeline

A timeline of King's Lynn FC, from the birth of the club in 1879 to today's winding-up order.

TIMELINE

t 1879 Birth of the modern football club known as Lynn Town playing on The Walks

t 1881 The Norfolk Football Association was founded in the town's Black Horse, situated in Chapel Street

t 1893 Lynn were the forerunners of 'floodlight football' in the county. They beat Wisbech 5-0 in the first 'electric light' match in front of more than 5,000 fans. Newspaper reports state segregation was now in place. Season tickets cost two shillings for admission to the north and east sides of the ground and double that for the south and west.


You may also want to watch:


t 1896 A covered stand was used for the first time.

t 1905 Original stand demolished and replaced by a wooden grandstand capable of seating 500. A sum of �250 was borrowed by builder William Smith and repaid from the proceeds of an FA Cup tie the following season against Aston Villa.

Most Read

t 1935/36 Founder members of the Eastern Counties League.

t 1948 The club's hierarchy made the decision to turn professional. Ken Gadsby was appointed as player/manager and a strong side was recruited featuring legends like ex-Sunderland player Cliff Whitelum and lethal record goalscorer Dick Everitt.

t 1951 A club record attendance of just under 13,000 watched Exeter's FA Cup visit at The Walks.

t 1954 The supporters' club step in to help with the bid for a new stand with the club reportedly in debt to the sum of �2,600. Concrete terracing and shelter to accommodate 4,000 was built with seating for 780 on the north side of the ground.

t 1955 The club announced it had sold the now 50 year old stand and received planning permission for a new stand made of brick and steel with seating for 1,400 and a front enclosure for a further 3,000. The plan was to have a ground that could provide covered accommodation for 8,000.

t 1956 Mr Arthur Drewry, the Chairman of the Football Association and President of FIFA, opened the new stand. The stand had cost �27,000 to build and a crowd of more than 6,000 attended the opening and the Midland League game that followed.

t 1958 Lynn join the Southern League.

t 1960 The club was wound up and restarted as a limited company. Almost immediately a 'Save the Linnets' fund was launched - the target being �5,000 that was needed to see the club finish the season.

t 1962 The club's best ever FA Cup run ended with a defeat at reigning League One champions Everton in front of 44,916 at Goodison Park.

t 1979 Lynn placed in the Midland Division following a leagues' re-organisation.

t 1980 Lynn switch to the Northern Premier League.

t 1994 The club was placed in administration after a long struggle with mounting debts. Colin Nichols unveiled as the club's new chairman. Former Ipswich defender Peter Morris appointed manager.

t 2004 Southern League Eastern Division champions.

t 2004 Hosted Exeter in an FA Trophy tie in front of a recorded attendance of 3,127 at The Walks.

t 2005 Southern League Cup winners.

t 2006 Hosted Oldham in a televised FA Cup tie watched by a recorded attendance of 5,444 at The Walks.

t 2007 A �350,000 renovation project began to renovate the grandstand roof and replace the wooden seating.

t 2008 Southern League Premier Division champions.

t 2008 Elected to Conference North for the first time.

t 2009 Demoted to the Unibond Premier Division for failing to undertake ground grading work in time to comply with league rules.

t 2009 High Court winding up order imposed on the club over an unpaid �65,000 tax bill to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus