King’s Lynn Town exit League Cup as Ian Culverhouse gives fringe players a chance
A much-changed King’s Lynn Town side fell to a Jake Newman treble as Kempston Rovers progressed to the next round of the Southern League Cup.
Manager Ian Culverhouse decided to make seven changes to the team that had dispatched Biggleswade Town in the week, with the likes of Craig Parker, Ryan Jarvis and Leon Mettam being replaced in the squad by a smattering of fringe and reserve team players.
The visitors could have had the lead early on as striker Tom Siddons was pulled down in the area by keeper Thomas Wyant when well placed. However, the youngster more than redeemed himself with a fantastic full-stretch save to keep Siddons’ well-hit penalty out.
Adam Moussi shot over the bar and Nathan Tshikuna worked Lynn keeper Alex Street, who produced a fingertip save as the home side grew in confidence. Newman bagged his first of the afternoon just before the 30-minute mark as he neatly held off Tom Ward before supplying a cool finish from 20 yards.
The Linnets were handed a lifeline just before the break when Toby Hilliard was felled inside the box by Wyant, who this time was booked. Cameron Norman took on the spot-kick duties and made no mistake.
You may also want to watch:
An ailing Hilliard was replaced at the break by Ryan Hawkins, but it was the Walnut Boys who fashioned the first chance of the half when Tshikuna drove wide from a tight angle. The hosts regained the lead on the hour as Newman twisted and turned Frazer Blake-Tracy before firing an angled drive beyond Street.
Sam Gaughran spooned over following a Lynn corner and Craig Gillies shot tamely at Wyant as Hawkins and another sub, Michael Clunan, fashioned Town’s best move of the afternoon.
- 1 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
- 2 MATCHDAY RECAP: Hornets frustrate City in title tussle
- 3 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 4 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 6 City lose Giannoulis appeal; three-game ban stands
- 7 Farke laments 'average' City display in Watford defeat
- 8 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Watford defeat
- 9 Pressure on Hornets for title-hunting City
- 10 Norwich City v Watford: everything you need to know
But their hopes though were well and truly dashed with time running out when Newman shot home at the second attempt past a grounded Street to seal victory.
Kempston Rovers: Wyant, McNulty, Mercer (Lyon 73), Goodman, Simpson, Boland (Shepherd 83), Tshikuna, Moussi (Fryer 72), Newman, Fuller, Heneghan. Subs not used: Ivy, Johnson. Goals: Newman 29, 60, 87.
Lynn: Street, Norman, Blake–Tracy, Gaughran, Ward, McGleish (Clunan 76), McQuaid, Liam Fryatt, Siddons, Gillies, Hilliard (Hawkins 46). Sub not sued: Ryan Fryatt. Goal: Norman 40 pen.
Referee: D Knox. Attendance: 84.